X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xpress34
    • Sep 2008

Re: Albert Pujols to the Angels

Originally posted by OaklandAsFan
    Its gonna take some astronomical good luck on the rest of the AL West and some horrible luck on the Angels for them to not walk away with the division for at least the next 2-3 years
    Really? Wow, I guess the Rangers being back to back AL Champs was only because the AL West was weak... they didn't beat the teams from other divisions as well in route to those titles.

Time will tell...

Comment

• CampWest
      • May 2008

Angels two signings today = a higher per year salary on two players than the entire Royals payroll.

Although they were already 4 times higher before this morning.

Hunter and Wells > Royals payroll.

Abreu + Haren + Weaver + Santana > Royals payroll.

oh well... I should quit baseball. Really no fairness or competitive balance. And that looks like it will never change. If they did institute a salary cap, they would place it at something like 175-190 mil and the Royals would never have higher than 60-70 mil anyways.
      sigpic
      Wes Campbell

Comment

• frikativ54
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by allstarsplus
        I already put in my request for Albert's first jersey. Everyone else get in line!
        I wish you luck on getting Pujols's first Angels' jersey. However, I don't think it will have nearly the monetary value as his Cards jerseys if he had stayed in St. Louis. But regardless, I hope you enjoy the shirt.

As for Albert himself, I agree with Smitty. If I were a Cards fan I would feel really betrayed. Pujols sacrificed team loyalty and went for the highest dollar. I really don't like what he did.

What really makes me mad is how he told the Cardinals' fans at the WS Parade how he wanted to stay in St. Louis. Another line from an insincere athlete going blind from the dollar signs in his eyes.

One of the qualities I admire most in athletes is team loyalty. You play the game for the fans; they are the ones who truly pay your salary. It's really sad that few pro athletes play their entire career for one team anymore.

That's why I admire people like Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell. They wanted to win in Houston and could have left and gotten more money elsewhere. But they loved their town and their team and wouldn't do that to the fans.

This is a sad day for baseball. And I will make sure to make my disapproval known when the Angels come to Seattle next year.
        Les Zukor
        bagwellgameused@gmail.com
        Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
        (617) 682-0408

Comment

• coxfan
          • Feb 2009

I recently read a column (was it Gammons?) that said the Angels' leadership was furious over losing supremacy to the Rangers, and that heads had rolled because of it.

But don't overlook that the Rangers and Rays have shown that high-paid free agents aren't essential. Everyone thought that the Rangers' loss of Cliff Lee was devastating, but they finished #2 in the AL regular season, and rolled to the AL title, despite that. A group of overachievers like Napoli can be worth as much as one free agent.

Comment

• lakeerie92
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by allstarsplus
            Totally shocked. I thought for sure it was to get the Cardinals to move and Albert would stay in St. Louis. Amazing fact on Pujols, he never made over $14.6 million in a season over his entire 11 year career with the Cardinals.

Most baseball players are overpaid for what they really do but in comparison to the rest of the league, Albert was one of the most underpaid players over his 11 year history compared to his WAR. I really don't blame him for leaving. At some point it has to be upsetting on why your own team won't pay you. In his last contract he gave the Cardinals a huge hometown discount.

With that said, only time will tell if this works out for the Angels on the field. Off the field and in the box office, this is as big as it gets!

My first call after hearing the news was to my friend who is a principal in Art of the Game which is the stadium store for the Angels who sells the game used.

Just think of the calls they will be getting for Pujols jerseys! I already put in my request for Albert's first jersey. Everyone else get in line!
            I initially wondered how the memorabilia market on Pujols would change with a different team.

I think Albert has a lock on his memorabilia and that is why you never see a Pujols authenticated by MLB for game use. The only way I could see no one having authenticated Pujols bats (other than the signature) is if he had a strong grip on his memorabilia. The 3HR bat on MLB's authentication page didn't even show a hologram on it.
            Russell Wuerffel
            Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
            lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Comment

• bronx_burner
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by cliffjmp33
              Fair enough, I feel good for all the Brewers, Astros, Pirates and Cobs fans!
              Ah, but you can only feel good for the Astros for 2012! After that, they are right back to facing Pujols, and actually more times than before as the division will have 5 teams instead of 6.

Comment

• gingi79
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by frikativ54
                One of the qualities I admire most in athletes is team loyalty. You play the game for the fans; they are the ones who truly pay your salary. It's really sad that few pro athletes play their entire career for one team anymore.

That's why I admire people like Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell. They wanted to win in Houston and could have left and gotten more money elsewhere. But they loved their town and their team and wouldn't do that to the fans.
                I respectively disagree for 2 reasons.

1) After any major baseball strike, when they didn't play for awhile and fans stayed away in droves when baseball returned, did contracts drop? No, they did not.

2) I'm disappointed by Pujols signing with another team as well but we as fans need to get over our self indulgence. Players play for themselves, for a title, for their family, for god and for money. Fans are just people who pay for the pleasure of seeing them play for those reasons. PR directors have taught these spoiled monkeys to say they care for the fans but you would be hard pressed in today's sports world to find too many who really believe that anymore. Of course that is my opinion, backed up by the fact I can name hundreds of all stars who left for the money but less than 10 players who stayed on one team in any sport and didn't take the money and run.

It also disturbs me that many of the people who hate their players leaving for money are guilty of it in their own lives. Know anyone who left their job for a higher paying one or a promotion to a better company? I have personally, so what is the difference? The fact it's millions of dollars versus thousands of dollars for a needy family is the reply I always get to this argument but to use that as an excuse is mere semantics. I can't be mad at someone doing what I do just because I will miss their talent on a team I root for.

I don't know enough about Biggio and Bagwell to comment with any authority but taking what you said at face value, they are the exception not the rule. Much like Cal Ripken, a first ballot HOF who spent hours signing autographs for fans at every game, I'd rather praise him for what he did that ping others for not doing it.

It's obvious the disconnect between fans and their heroes just continues to grow.
                Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Comment

• emann
                  • Nov 2008

Originally posted by gingi79
                  Players play for themselves, for a title, for their family, for god and for money.
                  This is in no particular order, right?

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                    Banned
                    • Apr 2009

I''m figuring that there are going to be some Ballhawks in mourning here in Chi-Town over this signing. Pujols, far more often than not, unloaded on the street during BP, and, the shagger-unfriendly 2011 season notwithstanding, was generally good for a couple of game home runs a year. Now he'll be on a team that will be going to the Cell for one, maybe 2 series a year, in a park that doesn't present the advantages of freedom of movement and limited competiton that Waveland Avenue offers. No sympathy for the Waveland crowd here, though...the game last home run ball that Pujols hit onto the street was recently seen for sale on eBay at $9,500 OBO...the seller, and a fellow ballhawk, paid $100 for it and ripped some poor guy off terribly. When stuff like that is eliminated, the hobby as a whole is better for it.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• gorilla777
                      • Aug 2009

Hey Dave,

I have 4 season seats for the Angels if you need another outlet to do your BP ballhawking for him, just let me know.

Ben

Comment

• freddiefreeman5
                        Banned
                        • Apr 2011

I would say the DH had something to do with his choice also.

DD

Comment

• LastingsMilledge85
                          • May 2009

The DH idea is something really to consider, after all the Miami Marlins did offer Pujols the most money.

Comment

• kellsox
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by xpress34
                            Really? Wow, I guess the Rangers being back to back AL Champs was only because the AL West was weak... they didn't beat the teams from other divisions as well in route to those titles.

Time will tell...
                            In 2011
                            Rangers were 40-17 vs AL West

56-49 vs everyone else

Comment

• gnishiyama
                              • Aug 2006

Originally Posted by frikativ54
                              frikativ: How do you know this? Have they personally told you this?
                              Have you perhaps considered they stayed for themselves? Some players
                              care more about their legacy than money, some don't want to move
                              their families, some are just comfortable staying where they are. Others may
                              see future job opportunities after their playing days are over if they stick
                              with one team. Others might benefit by getting more endorsements.
                              Do you think Ripken would have been able to start his memorabilia
                              company had he changed teams during his consecutive games run
                              and other milestones? He is one of many, including MY favorite player Jeter,
                              who has benefited from staying with one team...You can interpret this
                              as loyalty to the fans but I am not so naive... however I still enjoy
                              watching the baseball and I don't mind spending my hard earned dollars on
                              going to a ballgame and having a good time.

It also disturbs me that many of the people who hate their players leaving for money are guilty of it in their own lives. Know anyone who left their job for a higher paying one or a promotion to a better company? I have personally, so what is the difference? The fact it's millions of dollars versus thousands of dollars for a needy family is the reply I always get to this argument but to use that as an excuse is mere semantics. I can't be mad at someone doing what I do just because I will miss their talent on a team I root for.
                              Thanks Gingi for stating this.

Fans always act like these players should play for less than their value because
                              they make millions and if it weren't for the fans..blah blah blah

As Andrew noted Pujols has been one of the most underpaid players for
                              years. Good for him for getting his worth and in my opinion, and then
                              some to make up for those underpaid years!

And for those always complaining about the plight of their small market
                              teams...be thankful for revenue sharing or else there probably wouldn't
                              even be a team in your small market city. In my opinion MLB is watered down
                              with all these teams and would be better off without some of these teams anyways...
                              Pujols Angels products selling out means money for everyone!

I just hope the Cards fans appreciate Pujols for what he did.
                              Goh Nishiyama

Always buying Japanese Game Used Memorablia

gnishiyama@gmail.com

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by OaklandAsFan
                                Its gonna take some astronomical good luck on the rest of the AL West and some horrible luck on the Angels for them to not walk away with the division for at least the next 2-3 years
                                See 2011 Boston Red Sox
                                2011 Philadelphia Eagles

Most of the time the big money spending sprees go bust. Compare Rangers and Angels rosters. Top to bottom Texas has them beat still. Wilson is highly overrated and Albert won't have much help in the lineup.

Comment

Working...