Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Collector washed jerseys

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    I'm not trying to be a dickhead, buy keeping the dirt, sweat and funk of another dude is borderline stalker.
    Somebody had to finally say it. Thought it was going to be me, but I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28
    not to pull this off topic, do any of you also clean your game used equipment?
    I only have a few sets of spikes in my collection, and they're all pretty dirt-encrusted. A set of Charles Brewer spikes I bought the other day has a ton of dirt and a wad of gum on them. I can't imagine cleaning them, as long as nothing appears to be living in there.

I hope all those who adamantly oppose washing jerseys are also against getting them signed because to me getting a game worn jersey autographed affects the value much more than a simple washing.

Quote Originally Posted by Neely8 View Post
    I hope all those who adamantly oppose washing jerseys are also against getting them signed because to me getting a game worn jersey autographed affects the value much more than a simple washing.
    ding, ding. Give this man a prize.

Banned

I don't like signed gamers either. I had a couple from NFL Auctions but sold them for that reason. I like them as they came off the field not washed or signed or otherwise altered. I don't collect as an investment I just enjoy having them because I am a rabid football fan. I realize older jerseys are pretty much all washed but I don't collect those because they are harder to find and I am not comfortable in determining what is real or not.

"I hope all those who adamantly oppose washing jerseys are also against getting them signed because to me getting a game worn jersey autographed affects the value much more than a simple washing."-posted by Neely8.

Why the "anti-autograph" stance? I like my gamers autographed especially when I am present and can see the players reaction to the shirt.

Some players genuinely enjoy holding and signing their old GU items. John Taylor, Jerry Rice and Rod Woodson all liked seeing their old gamers. On the other hand some could care less or, for some reason did not want to sign what I requested on their GU jersey.

Woodson was about to sign my Raiders gamer of his "game worn 2003" until his agent told him not to!!! Woodson gave his agent a funny look and told me sorry but could not sign it that way. He did say that it was his game worn jersey though which was good enough for me!

I know that having a signature on gamers is a very personal issue but does it really detract from a GU items value?

Personally I would never wash a GU football jersey. The Frank Gore that "Mulligans" was nice enough to part with, was the worst smelling jersey I have ever owned!!! An edict was issued by my wife that it was not to be brought into the house until it was "decontaminated". Well a week on the terrace, in the sea breeze, helped but it still stinks!

As for a change in value, that would be up to the purchaser. If it was a player I needed to complete an aspect of the collection, I would still buy the shirt although, depending on what was "washed out" (if the jersey showed considerable use and the majority of the dirt, hits, field paint etc was washed out) my offer would be somewhat decreased. If my lower offer was going to result in a sale to another collector I would then reconsider and up my offer.

Always buying 49ers gamers and ALL 1994 49ers GU items! Paying a finders fee as well.

Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com

Merry Christmas!!!
    Go 49ers!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    I realize older jerseys are pretty much all washed but I don't collect those because they are harder to find and I am not comfortable in determining what is real or not.
    Legal,
    A modern jersey is a quadzillion times harder to authenticate than a vintage one.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    Legal,
    A modern jersey is a quadzillion times harder to authenticate than a vintage one.
    It depends on what you buy. If you buy from NFL Auctions or from a team such as the Packers its already authenticated for you. If your buying from Joe seller who got it from a "team source" then I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by solarlottry View Post
    "I hope all those who adamantly oppose washing jerseys are also against getting them signed because to me getting a game worn jersey autographed affects the value much more than a simple washing."-posted by Neely8.

Why the "anti-autograph" stance? I like my gamers autographed especially when I am present and can see the players reaction to the shirt.
    I think Neely8 is referring to those opposed to altering a jersey from its original game used condition.

Paul: I'm just curious if you ever showed a nasty smelling unwashed gamer to a player and what was his reaction? I would think they'd be a little uncomfortable knowing that smell came from them! Lol

I'm an absolute crazy Atlanta Falcons fan and for that reason, I prefer to not have to worry about my jerseys smelling up the house or making my kids sick if I want to pull them out and let them hold them up to themselves.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Hi Kyle (Falcon) Mele Kalikimaka bradah! GO FALCONS!

I have presented a # of GU unwashed jerseys to their former wearers, but by the time they were signed, the shirts did not smell all that bad. I always air out any unwashed jersey on my lanai for about a week, which usually does a fairly decent job of making the smell bearable.

The Gore still has a fairly pungent scent so it will be interesting to see his expression if i ever get a chance to get it signed.

I see Neely8's point about a signature altering a gamer from its pure form. I guess I am of the faction that believes that the player's own signature does not alter the item enough to detract from its value. In fact I think a nice autograph or inscription can enhance the value of some things.

On the other hand illegible or sloppy autographs or a misspelled or incorrect inscription can most definitely detract from an item.

I am not a fan of religious notations thus a jersey with such a notation would lose value in my book. But if it was a player I have been searching for unsuccessfully for an extended period of time I would still buy the shirt.

Always buying 49ers gamers!
    Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com