Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
So according to the hologram the jersey was used on July 31st vs the O's. Yet when looking at getty, there are no photos of Derek Jeter wearing a jersey that matches the NY position. I even browsed through most of the year and couldn't find one photo that matched this jersey. I'm surprised when a hologram states that the game it's used in, you guys don't search for a photo match. Thought I'd pass it on and you guys can look harder at pictures.
I have always had problems with the interpretation of the date on a hologramed item.

The date indicates the date of the authentication session. I do not think it indicates the date it was used, although many times this is true. For jerseys, it seems that it was the date is was collected in the locker room after the game. I have seen, at the end of the season, a group of Yankee road jerseys collected during a home game so we know they were not used on that date.

For bats, it seems that it was also the date that the bat was collected. I recall researching a Texiera game bat that had a hologram date of day he hit for the cycle and there were several of his bats collected on that day so there was no way to verify that it was used on the date that was on the hologram stickers as THE bat he used when he hit the for the cycle, for that matter he used in that game. So bats do not seem to indicate the date it was used but when it was collected and authenticated by whomever. The exception seems to be cracked bats that usually are from the same date.

I have no trouble with the description on how this item is depicted on the 8D auction. I do however caution everyone to not read into the hologram date too much and to verify as these two gentlemen above me have done on every item they are thinking of purchasing.

One thing the session date shows, is an approximate time that the jersey was used. This can narrow down your search of images on Getty. So if anyone wanted to try to photomatch the jersey you would in this case look at date prior to July 31. Then again I remember someone here pointing out an exception where a player was still using a game used item (i think it was a bat or a hat) that had a MLB hologram on it.