Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Chicago Tribune JOSports Article

I meant future forgery and scamming in general. I wasn't referring to anyone in particular.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TriplexXxSports View Post
    I was, and it was a humbling experience. My 45 minute conversation w/ Jared (Chicago Tribune) consisted of small talk about JO, but mostly involved how the average collector, like myself, keeps from getting burned.

The one sentence that I wanted ran that wasn't was this (and I'll say it 1000x over) "Every venue for obtaining GU Gear has skeletons in the closet. Auction houses, eBay, JO, ...even NFL Auctions. - DO YOUR HOMEWORK & GUARANTEE YOUR OWN AUTHENTICITY..."

Jared arranged for a photographer to come to my residence and take some photographs of myself, along with items in my collection. It was a neat experience. So yeah, that is my jersey feature in the heading. AND, it was purchased from none other than JO Sports (which whom I personally have had nothing but pleasurable experiences with). But, then again, I DO MY HOMEWORK.

I think Rick's (34SWTNS) quote was the best. Stealing cash for cigarettes... Me - NEVER!
    Matt .. I applaud you for the stance you take on your beliefs... despite knowing you will take some criticism on this forum

Troy is right in the sense that grass, or blood, or loosening threads, or paint can be (somewhat) matched to replicate actual game wear. But I will tell you from experience (from playing ball myself) hit marks, stains around the jersey from a set of shoulder pads, tears and the way they happen, EXACT patterning of mud (the texture, or color pattern), blood, paint (texture, or color pattern)... That can NEVER be duplicated. That's why it is key to spend your time doing research.
    just one question: what homework did you do on your favorite jersey if you pre-ordered it?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Troy is right in the sense that grass, or blood, or loosening threads, or paint can be (somewhat) matched to replicate actual game wear. But I will tell you from experience (from playing ball myself) hit marks, stains around the jersey from a set of shoulder pads, tears and the way they happen, EXACT patterning of mud (the texture, or color pattern), blood, paint (texture, or color pattern)... That can NEVER be duplicated. That's why it is key to spend your time doing research.
    Sure, but to replicate a true photomatch. Thats a pretty tough thing to do. And to call photomatching "amatuerish" is a pretty condescending remark, and to me, puts him in a bad light.

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymbz View Post
    Matt .. I applaud you for the stance you take on your beliefs... despite knowing you will take some criticism on this forum
    Look, what JO did was WRONG, and it is damning to this hobby. It sits bad with me, as I'm sure it does with everyone else. But, if you want the goods, you have to go where they are available.

I have bought stuff from AMI (we all know their history), eBay (well, that's probably the worst), and other venues w/ questionable reputations... Well, you get the idea. I mean every auction house that runs in this business has a thread started here about an item they're running in their current auction, but we continue to do business with them, ya know.

If you do your homework there are plenty of legitimate, good items out there from all of these venues, JO included.

Do I wish the Bears would cut ties with JO? Yes and No. Yes because what they did was wrong. I do not enjoy knowing there is a possibility (not saying they would, or accusing them) of them tampering with Bears jerseys, but it would eliminate that chance if they lost the contract. But I also know that that can, and does, happen anywhere (as we saw there were 5 more guys that got in trouble, not just Jarrod).

But then again, like I said in the article, Bears jerseys were tough to come by until the the Game Exclusives/ JO era came around, so if you want one where else do you get one (so easily)?

People can damn me all they want on this forum. That's fine. Anyone that wants to argue my opinion, credibility, research tactics, collection, or where I buy - feel free. All you will get is a deer eating popcorn...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kudu View Post
    Sure, but to replicate a true photomatch. Thats a pretty tough thing to do. And to call photomatching "amatuerish" is a pretty condescending remark, and to me, puts him in a bad light.
    totally agree!! again he is not going to be for something that may negate the use of his third party authenticating business,,,, LOA's are as wholesome as used toilet paper

Quote Originally Posted by kudu View Post
    Correct. You WILL NEVER duplicate a true photomatch. It is just humanly impossible.

Amateurish...? That comment in itself is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    just one question: what homework did you do on your favorite jersey if you pre-ordered it?
    I ordered it during halftime of that game. I saw that by the half the jersey was destroyed, I had the game on record, so I called them up.

I ordered it during halftime of that game. I saw that by the half the jersey was destroyed, I had the game on record, so I called them up.
    To take a game issued football jersey and make it look like a heavily used jersey that can be matched to photos can be done but it would take an true artist to pull it off.

If that photo matched jersey was preordered and sold right after the game, it would be impossible to fake. It also help that it was never washed. You would need time and effort and much talent and expertise for anyone to pull off a well executed fake. Never seen anyone with that much talent yet.

Continues success with your Chicago Bears collection. I hope someone else get the contract when the terms of the JO deals expires at the end of the season.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

You WILL NEVER duplicate a true photomatch. It is just humanly impossible.
    Sure, but what percentage of 'collectors' know what a true photo match is? Look at some of the examples of matches, posted on this board.

What? What do you mean the numbers and lettering is wrong? Huh? They didn't use that tag until after he retired? That smudge is in the wrong spot? It's got a letter!!!!