Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Most pretigeous Being an All Star or Winning a WS?

its a no brainer...just ask Ernie Banks...

Think about this if Tony Gwynn had no all star appearances, and 1 world series win, say in 84 or 98, it would diminish him in many people's eyes.

Think about this.... Johnny Damon 2 world series wins, only 2 all star games. When his HOF voting comes along (he should get 3000 hits), his only 2 all star appearnces will be held against him by some, stating he wasn't the best at his postion for a long enough duration, etc...

Also, the fan vote is slightly overrated, I think MLB gives the illusion that the fans have this HUGE say in the all star team, when really it is used as a tie breaker, the coaches and players themselves carry a much great value in the all star game selections. MLB always posts which palyers are the "top vote getters" but that is not the sole or majority of the determination for all star selections.

---
    It is a fine balance between the 2, WS win or All Star Selection.

I think Tony Gwynn would have been pretty bitter winning the 1984 world series while hitting .220 in the series and going the next 18 years or so as an all star snub. As I stated, the fans don't hold not winning a WS against players like NFL fans do against guys like Marino, Fouts, Tarkenton, etc.

Each case is unique for each player I would say. Kirby Puckett for example, I think his 2 World Series Wins in 87 and 91 (especially his gmae 6 HR) put him over the top to get in the HOF.

----

I have a distant relative that played in the majors for parts of 3 seasons and asked him. Initially, he said WS, but as I presented the same points to him he had a hard time choosing.

Well, if you are a role for the same franchise for let say for 5-6 years and win a world seires with that team, that would make sense that the WS is more important as there is a lot invested into the area and team.

But a role player that was at a team for 1 season, who knows.

Do you think anyone will say this about pat Burrell in 7 years and say

"Was he great going 0 for 13 in the 2010 World Series, great player on the 2010 Giants?" It will probably be more remember as a philly and the 08 WS like, "He was on that Giants team?" - While I am sure SF Giants fans will remmeber, the other fans probably won't

If I were a ballplayer and had to choose just one, I would go for winning a World Series. Not just winning the Series, but playing a prominent role in one. I don't think anyone will forget about David Freese and his accomplishments. He may never be a perennial all-star, but he was clutch when it mattered most. At the end of the day, it would be cool to say that I performed when everything was on the line. That would be much more satisfying than being selected to play in 10 all-star exhibition games.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by jake33 View Post
    I also think more fans know the last 5 all star game MVP's before they will know the last 5 pro bowl MVP's.

Using your own reasoning, i would argue that more fans know the last 5 mlb ws mvp before they will know the last 5 mlb all-star mvp.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

When that ball player is sittting on his rocking chair watching the world go by he can get anyone's attention by saying that he played in the world series...

Quote Originally Posted by jake33 View Post

Also, the fan vote is slightly overrated, I think MLB gives the illusion that the fans have this HUGE say in the all star team, when really it is used as a tie breaker, the coaches and players themselves carry a much great value in the all star game selections. MLB always posts which palyers are the "top vote getters" but that is not the sole or majority of the determination for all star selections.

what are you talking about, the entire starting lineup minus the pitching is selected by the fans vote and most of the time the starters stay in for more than half the game.

YEs, the entire starting lineup is but that is 16/58 total players, minus pitching.