Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Any Coin Collectors?

Hey guys,

Sorry I'm going so off topic in posting this, however, I've found that one collection leads to another. Curious to see if there are any coin collectors that wanted to talk about trading some memorabilia for coins and vice versa.

Happy Holidays,
    Good month to be a Los Angeleno and bandwagon Halo fan.
    Damon
    d2ray13@hotmail.com

Banned

Re: Any Coin Collectors?

My signature below says it all...

Funny you should bring it up just now. I was going through some things this past week, and came across an old coin bank that my mother owned from the time she was a kid, back in the '30s and '40s. I haven't had time to pick the lock on it and check out its contents, but I remember her showing it to me when I was a kid, and letting me examine the coins in it. It's been probably close to fifty years, but I remember that there were some coins from the early 1800s in it, for certain. I kind of doubt that there's anything extremely valuable to be found in it, and unless there were I'd probably hold onto the entire contents just for sentimental reasons, but I'll check it out this weekend.

Hey, since we're off-topic anyway, I've just, in the last week, begun renewing an interest in collecting old (early '60s and older) police competitive shooting medals. My collection has been packed away in a closet for a number of years, but I'm going to have to drag it out and reaquaint myself with what I already have. I know that there are a couple of White House Police shooting medals from the '40s in there, and some other interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    Funny you should bring it up just now. I was going through some things this past week, and came across an old coin bank that my mother owned from the time she was a kid, back in the '30s and '40s. I haven't had time to pick the lock on it and check out its contents, but I remember her showing it to me when I was a kid, and letting me examine the coins in it. It's been probably close to fifty years, but I remember that there were some coins from the early 1800s in it, for certain. I kind of doubt that there's anything extremely valuable to be found in it, and unless there were I'd probably hold onto the entire contents just for sentimental reasons, but I'll check it out this weekend.

Hey, since we're off-topic anyway, I've just, in the last week, begun renewing an interest in collecting old (early '60s and older) police competitive shooting medals. My collection has been packed away in a closet for a number of years, but I'm going to have to drag it out and reaquaint myself with what I already have. I know that there are a couple of White House Police shooting medals from the '40s in there, and some other interesting stuff.

Can't wait to hear whats in that bank... Though I do have a small collection of coins, my current "second" collection focus is meteorites - just starting out in that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Ok very cool. It wasn't such an odd-ball post afterall. And no kidding man! I'd love to buy that thing from you "pre-picked" but would still love to hear what you find.

And AM-shot you an email.

Don't know much about meteorites, but have always been fascinated... I love minerals/gemstones too... I live in Southern California in the Santa Monica Mountains, and in the little free time I have I love to go hiking and love to pull out the gold pan. (Yes, I've found quite a bit... Otherwise I wouldn't continue to chug around a gold pan around Los Angeles!)

Quote Originally Posted by d2ray13 View Post
    (Yes, I've found quite a bit... Otherwise I wouldn't continue to chug around a gold pan around Los Angeles!)
    There was a guy on t.v. the other day who "pans" the sidewalks around Manhatten's jewelry district, and makes a living at it. I think he said he averages about a hundred a day. He sifts and processes the dirt in the sidewalk cracks for gold, and also finds the occasional diamond.

I didn't get around to opening that bank this past weekend. I did, however, break out that box of medals, and sort through a small number of them. (There are hundreds, packed between layers of bubblewrap.) One of my favorites (and, I suspect, one of the rarest) is an "Atomic Energy [Commission] Protective Force" shooting medal from 1951.

Quote Originally Posted by d2ray13 View Post
    Don't know much about meteorites, but have always been fascinated...
    Check out the show Meteorite Men on Science Channel... Really good show and educational. And the book "Rocks from Space" by Richard Norton.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell