Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

A question about photo matching and verification

One thing is I've noticed that people will say an old jersey (say 1980s or 90s) isn't genuine because the lettering (or whatever) doesn't match up to photos in hand of the player. However, the photos of the player must be limited, rarely showing every game and sometimes no more than a few games-- making me wonder how often a jersey is genuine yet doesn't match up to images because of the scarcity of photos.

Re: A question about photo matching and verification

Another way to put it, is I've seen people say a jersey is not genuine because some detail (lettering size, whatever) doesn't exist in photos used for comparison. But does that mean the detail didn't exist (thus the jersey is genuine) or could it mean the detail is authentic but happens not to appear in the photos from a limited number of games?

type = meant to write (thus the jersey is NOT genuine)

So, yes, I am questioning how such definitive opinions of non-genuineness can be made from such limited photographic evidence.

Duly note, i don't profess or pretend to be a photo-matching expert. I'm just an humble observer observing other threads.

Its not very difficult, if in 1976 they used jerseys that are a certain font or size and you compare it to one you have now. If the font and size are different its unlikely that the others that where issued where different.