Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Braun's failed test caused by medication

With regard to drug testing, whether or not a requirement to disclose prescription medications exists depends entirely on why the individual is testing. I'm the court liaison for a large agency that deals primarily with urinalysis drug testing, and whether or not people must, or even are able to, disclose to us what they're taking on a prescription basis varies from program to program.

People testing for the Diversion or Deferred Prosecution program have to tell us what they're taking if they want to participate in the program; they are free to refuse, at which point they're terminated from the program and go back to court to face the music. Probation clients report their prescription drug use to their POs - we don't really care; the same for folks testing for CPS - their case workers require that information, but the testing agency does not. People testing for Family Court don't have to tell anyone, but if they test positive for something, it's a sure bet that the court and attorneys are going to be asking why.

I have no idea how the matter of prescription drug use is handled in the MLB testing program, but I suspect that it's done like with most private employers: if you test positive for what may be a controlled substance, you can either prove that you were legally entitled to use that substance, or you will be presumed guilty. In other words, you may not be legally required to provide information about your medical condition or what you're taking for it...but if you want to keep your job, you probably should.

In any case, the lab cannot, and does not, assume or report that you - for example - tested positive for steroids because you're taking a scrip that has steroids in it; someone could be taking a herpes medication that contains steroids and taking steroids as a PED. That's a big part of the reason that athletes are prohibited from taking some medications that they'd otherwise be legally entitled to take - the test only tells you so much, and there is no test for "intent".

godwulf, good diplomatic response. Mostly all of you said was fluff.
    Braun has had more time than anyone on the Mitchell report to respond to a negative steroid test that he's failed. He failed at the response too. No matter if he's exonerated, he's tainted as the FIRST of the post-steroid era to be caught for what his predecessors did best, beside dominate.

These things take time to work out. Until MLB comes out with the information and hands down a suspension, I wouldn't put much stock in any of it.

For a test to come back with 2x the next highest level of PED makes me think that it could be an anomaly. Look at all of the 'roiders over the last 9 years of testing....2x any of their results?

Nothing official on this has come out at all! Braun has answered and is likely dealing with MLB on this matter. Who are we to demand that he answers to us first?

Quote Originally Posted by vonbrandingo View Post
    godwulf, good diplomatic response.
    Well, that's something I'm rarely accused of...but in this instance, I don't think the word means what you think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by vonbrandingo
    Mostly all of you said was fluff.
    I was addressing the questions and statements that others had posted regarding medical releases and the responsiblility of the testing lab to request prescription drug information or to take it into account when reporting test results. Sorry if I bored or confused you.