Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Ever lost your desire to collect?

never

I wouldn't say that I have lost the desire, just that other things take priority over collecting from time to time. There is only so much money to budget and the family will win over the collection everyday.

Over the years I have refined my collecting interest. It used to be that I would buy jerseys based on a special patch, cool, different, or whatever caught my eye. Now I focus on my hometown players and teams, yet often find myself jumping at "good deals" too.

I second all that Gingi said about people exploiting player collectors. There are some that will go out of their way to help me land special jerseys, but others that triple the price as soon as they know that you are looking for that player. Sometimes I will admit being afraid to post questions out of fear that someone will upbid me or buy it and try to flip it right to me for a profit (yes, both have happened).

I don't lose the desire, but my interests evolve and change. When I first got into collecting baseball g-u stuff, I had no idea where to find it. So I was fooled by a replica WS ball at a store that the seller assured me had been at the World Series. I nearly bought a cracked bat that a different seller assured me had been used by A-Rod. But by then I'd learned enough to become skeptical, and some research saved me ( I think he signed the bat but didn't use it.) I think both those sellers were honest, but had been misinformed themselves ( a common problem with a lot of stores).

Then I got into g-u cards, because they were available and I trusted that the companies wouldn't risk their reputations on shaky items. But I was dismayed to read that they sometimes bought from secondary sources, and recent events have highlighted those risks.

Then I found the Rangers' great g-u selection when my daughter moved to DFW. So I lost interest in cards. Now I've bought postseason items from them, so I'm losing interest in regular-season items.And so on it goes.

I think, like many, the hobby has had it's ebbs and flows. I started collecting in 1974 and to this day am very active in the area of game worn jerseys and helmets.
    For me, the joy has recently been about helping others with their collecting interests. I am by no means an expert but I do try to reflect the more positive side to this hobby. Am I perfect? No way, but along the way, I have provided many with items that they truly treasure and feel that as my life has progressed that this role both suit me and energizes me.
    I cannot tell you how blessed I have been to own uniforms of my favorite players and items that are more worthy of a museum than a basement.
    My search has led and taken me to places I would have otherwise never been and to owning some of the best game and movie worn pieces in this great hobby.
    I am also deeply grateful to Chris Cavalier and his work on developing this Forum as a place where we can exchange ideas and collectibles and his work on behalf of the 8D and other charities.
    We should never lose sight of what we have been given custody of and guard it until the next generation grows into wanting to acquire and perpetuate it.
    Larry Pelliccioni

I have lost interest at times, but mostly because I've peaked out in my collecting areas. For example, I collect single-signed Negro Lg baseballs. Well, after accumulating over 400, it's pretty rough finding new ones. The thrill of the hunt is fun, but after a while it feels futile, and I almost stop looking.

I've run into the feeling recently of "If I want/need it, I can't afford it. If I can afford it, I already have it."

That being said, I love Christmas time, because everyone has an auction and most people are short on money, so I get some deals.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com