Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ever lost your desire to collect?

I think i have. I look at the normal auctions and i havent seen one thing in ages that interested me.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Re: Ever lost your desire to collect?

While I have never lost my desire I can definately sympathize with you as I continue to wait for THOSE couple of items. Waiting takes it out of you. The search can be exciting BUT when it goes on and on and on with no end in sight...boy does it get old. AND when an item that does potentially satisfy a hole in the collection appears, I econe highly critical (a little over the top at times) and ofttimes shy away from the item because it isn't quite what I wanted.

I think it is entirely possible to burn out from a hobby (I think more so the more passionate you are about it). Everyone needs a break sometime.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by Fnazxc0114 View Post
    I think i have. I look at the normal auctions and i havent seen one thing in ages that interested me.
    I can relate. I haven't found anything that really excites me in a long, long time. The well has run dry, it seems.

Banned

I know what your saying. There used to be good stuff everywhere you turned now thats not the case. Ebay has mostly junk, much of which is either questionable and/or overpriced. Most of my best items came from there at fair prices a few years ago. The league auction sites everything goes for a fortune and it feels like just throwing money away because it is unlikely that someone will pay even close to what you paid if you ever decide to resell. Steiner rarely gets new stuff anymore besides the Yankees, JO is pretty much finished they have not added any new items in about a month and Meigray only has pretty much hockey and basketball which I don't really collect.

I sold all of my stuff when my wife passed at 35 yrs old. I just didn't care for it anymore. I sold my house w/ my sports room that I built as well, which I regret selling more than my collection. Fortunately, most of my important pieces were snapped up by my two partners and best friends.

I started collecting again about a year and a half ago and have been enjoying it alot. My focus in collecting has changed a bit, but it's been great.

I do have to agree w/ leagleeagle statements. There isn't much quality out there. And the places that did get what I collect are way overpriced IMO, or have dried out. I'm not going to pay $1750 for a backup tight end Bears jersey who will wind up with maybe, and I mean maybe 100 yards and 3 tds on the season.

Shawn Kennedy
    www.gopherjerseys.com
    www.gridironheroes.net
    gridironheroes22@yahoo.com

I have not lost my desire, at all. I think about and research jerseys all day and night. Many times, I dream about jerseys. I think it is painfully funny that folks on this forum 'dis eBay. Many, many game worn jerseys are not in the "game used" category and are not even listed as such.
    If you could easily find gamers at junk stores, that would just take the fun out of it. Wouldn't it?

I have not lost my desire, at all. I think about and research jerseys all day and night. Many times, I dream about jerseys. I think it is painfully funny that folks on this forum 'dis eBay. Many, many game worn jerseys are not in the "game used" category and are not even listed as such.
    But what percentage of the items you hunt down are for your own collection?

If you're an eBay 'picker' you'll undoubtedly have more success stories, because your search is not limited to a certain player or team. On the other hand, if you're trying to hunt down Leo Rautins game worn gear, it's going to be slow going.

I have not lost my desire to collect (as my wife will testify (and she might)). I have lost my interest in selling stuff I don't really need. Too many "Shoot me some pix. Can you do half? What are the measurements armpit-to-armpit?" No, no and no.

I've also lost my interest in buying stuff through this site. People post stuff for sale on the GUU, then sell to someone else by e-mail without checking the web-site.

Other than that, said Mrs. Lincoln after the play, everything is fine.

Dave Silverbrand
    Always looking for sincerity

I agree that the extended searching gets old. Many times when I find an item I like it is vastly overpriced. Fortunately, I found some key pieces as of late. I suppose the holidays takes it toll on everyone.

In regards to this site, I kinda wish there was a grace period for the $500 limit. I feel a lot of us easily fit in the $500+ range. There are ways around the BST as we all know but being able to post more expensive items freely in the Classifieds would be nice since there aren't many (quality) GU forums out there.

It's crazy that you started this thread because I was kind of thinking the same thing today.

Prices are starting to get out of hand and I don't collect Joe Commonplayer and kind of realized that if I get what I want, it will be around $4,000 - $10,000 per additional jersey that I want.