Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Clemente AU with William Witte(?)

Anyone here know who William Witte was and what his connection to Clemente is?

I picked up this piece in a trade:

I've Googled William Witte and can't find any relevant info. I have seen a few other Clemente AU slabbed like this one with William Witte as well.

All the best -

Smitty

Re: Clemente AU with William Witte(?)

Since you've seen evidence of a Witte signature along with Clemente before, I'd contact the Clemente Museum in Pittsburgh who could probably be of help.....

Or, you could contact Paul Kutch, who I know works with Hunt Auctions who has one of the better Clemente collections around..

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    Since you've seen evidence of a Witte signature along with Clemente before, I'd contact the Clemente Museum in Pittsburgh who could probably be of help.....

Or, you could contact Paul Kutch, who I know works with Hunt Auctions who has one of the better Clemente collections around..

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the info my friend!!! Happy Holidays to you and yours!!!

- Smitty

I think the William Witte autograph must be a fake since the two "W's" are not the same. Had to say it before someone else.

Nice item, but I am surprised that PSA would give a rushed looking auto like that a 9 (not the extra marks to the lower left and upper right of the R)

Being a cut autograph, there is a chance that it could be a contract or something of that nature. William Witte may not have any ties to Clemente other than this one dealing. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by jppopma View Post
    I think the William Witte autograph must be a fake since the two "W's" are not the same. Had to say it before someone else.

Nice item, but I am surprised that PSA would give a rushed looking auto like that a 9 (not the extra marks to the lower left and upper right of the R)

Being a cut autograph, there is a chance that it could be a contract or something of that nature. William Witte may not have any ties to Clemente other than this one dealing. You never know.
    Here's a PSA 8 like mine - different W's on it too... and I have seen at least three others with Witte on them hat look similar to these - just can't find the pictures right now.