Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Re: Babe Ruth Signed Bat? Help Requested

After contemplating the situation for quite awhile I decided that once I receive the bat I'm going to send it off to Richard Simon for authentication. I have already emailed Mr. Simon about it and am hopeful that he will be able to tell me for sure whether the bat is good or bad.

At this time, I am hopeful to actually receive the bat. I've sent two emails to the seller in the last 35 hours without response and just found out that his phone has been disconnected. This alone has me doubting as to whether or not I actually get the item.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Tim Byington

Banned

Re: Babe Ruth Signed Bat? Help Requested

I have 50.00 that says Simon agrees with me and fails the autograph.

Any suckers, I mean takers.

This is a juvenile attempt at a Babe Ruth signature.

Hi Tim,

Please post the results when you get the bat back.

Sammy, it sounds like maybe you know more than we do about autographs, but you have to admit that Frangipani is NOT a reliable source for authenticating autographs.

Hi Everyone,

Here's the update: Today I received the bat complete with LOA from Donald Frangipani as well as the certificate of examination from PAAS stating that the autograph cannot be authenticated for the following reasons:
    Sizing of letters, Atypical letter angle, slant, and/or pitch, irregular letter shape and/or formation, irregular spacing between letters, irregular strokes/pen movement, lacks flow and spontaneity.

Now for the good stuff!

The bat is NOT 33" as listed in the auction. It is actually 36" and 29.7 oz and is a 1921-31 pre-powerized H&B with SIDE WRITING opposite of the Babe Ruth "autograph". As far as I can tell from examining the sidewriting it is "37 / 38 3/5 W.T. Core 9-24-24". Could also be W.T. Gore? Pretty exciting I think!

Now all I have to do is try to decide whether or not I should pursue the Ruth auto having any possible legitimacy and try to find out more about Mr. Core (Gore?).

If anyone knows sidewritten bats (Marcus?) and would like to help find out a bit more about it since I've never owned one please chime in or email me at t_byington@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Tim Byington

Correction, I believe the side writing is actually 37 / 38 oz W. T. Core 9-24-24.

Tim Byington
    t_byington@yahoo.com

Banned

Dang,

I wish someone would have taken my 50.00 bet.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    Dang,

I wish someone would have taken my 50.00 bet.

Sammy, how do you know so much about DF's numbering system? Also, who is "SEL"? I don't think that the SEL initials were in the original Operation Bullpen. Maybe some more indictments soon?

Banned

Hi Rob,

I'm aware of DF's numbering system because I have been in this business a long time, and have seen and know something about most of the well known people in this hobby, and quite a few that don't really want to be known.

In regard to "SEL", I really don't know who or what that stands for. It could be someone's name, city, or special code. Mr. Frangipani would generally use someone's initials, but he has been know to switch to town abbreviations and codes for special requests.

There are a lot of people who used Donald Frangipani besides the Marino clan. He was once considered the "Go To" guy for authentication purposes. His COAs were at one time used in a lot of major auctions and by many sellers, including Sotheby's.

I seriously doubt there will be any more indictments in regard to anything Mr. Frangipani has done or may be related too.

Sammy, what you say about Mr. Frangipani being at one time the "go to guy" doesn't make him any more reliable than we know him to be. HBO sports exposed his "Expertise". I'm not saying the signature on the bat is real or fake, but nobody should ever rely on anything Mr. Frangipani has an opinion on.

Banned

I was clarifying an opinion by some that Donald Frangipani only authenticated for the Marino gang.

He has authenticated for many different people and companies, not just the Marinos.

Thus, if you see his cert on something, that does not automatically mean the item came from the Marinos, or one of their associates.

This is another version of my answer to the previous question posted for me, for those of you who do not understand my previous post.