X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G1X
    • Nov 2005

Re: Collector washed jerseys

legaleagle,

For those of us who collect football jerseys worn in the 20th century - back in the days where only one or two jerseys of each color were worn in the entire season - we can attest that washing a jersey does not remove rips, repairs, scuffing, abrasions, and other markings such as permanent staining from turf paint and helmet paint. Back in the era when numbers were screened-on, you will see "burn" marks on the numbers and stripes that remain on the jersey after being washed.

As someone stated earlier, washing a jersey does not take away the fact that a jersey was game-worn by the player. If you think that a washed jersey ends up looking like a glorified reproduction, I gladly invite you to view my collection of older jerseys as it will quickly change your mind on that particular issue.

Unwashed jerseys are almost non-existent from the 20th century, and if you collect anything older than the last 5 years or so, it is very doubtful that you will find anything that is unwashed. Even if you somehow ended up with a 1974 jersey that was obtained directly off the back of the player after the last game of the season, did the previous washings after each game somehow remove the history or lessen the value of that shirt?

I have twice won a jersey in a "Shirt Off My Back" promotion at a baseball game. They were sweaty and gross, so I washed them. Did washing those jerseys make them any less real or no better than a glorified reproduction? Did it erase the fact that I was handed these jerseys directly after being worn in a game? Did it remove the history of these jerseys? The answers are no, no, and no!

Again, each to their own in setting their parameters in what they collect.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League jerseys, AFL/NFL durene jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and any Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

Comment

• SSB15
      • Nov 2005

I do not think washing the jersey has any impact on the value. I have a lot of jerseys in my collection and would not want a dirty jersey for health reasons. The teams, of course, wash jerseys on a regular basis. If you take this a step further, then we should never fold jerseys to ship them because you can create a crease in the jersey.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
        • Nov 2005

This thread is reminiscent of the modern vs. vintage debate. It seems there is a generational divide. Febreez does wonders. Of course, washing is better."Denim-heads" and blue jean officianados put their jeans in the freezer to kill viruses and bacteria. I really want you married guys to just try that and see if your wives approve.

Comment

• Rickphils1
          • Oct 2006

I bought a Jason Werth game used Phillies jersey 2 seasons ago that had the MLB hologram indicating it was game used. When I purchased it from the Phillies kiosk, they told (warned) me it hadn't been washed. When I got it home the odor from the B.O. was horrible. I debated washing it but was afraid that it might effect the MLB hologram. Instead, I sprayed it with some lysol and hung it in my unfinished basement for several months before the smell went away. If it hadn't been for the holo, I would have washed it in a second---probably somewhere other than my machine.

Comment

• mbenga28
            • Nov 2008

not to pull this off topic, do any of you also clean your game used equipment?

Comment

• godwulf
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by both-teams-played-hard
              I'm not trying to be a dickhead, buy keeping the dirt, sweat and funk of another dude is borderline stalker.
              Somebody had to finally say it. Thought it was going to be me, but I was wrong.

Originally posted by mbenga28
              not to pull this off topic, do any of you also clean your game used equipment?
              I only have a few sets of spikes in my collection, and they're all pretty dirt-encrusted. A set of Charles Brewer spikes I bought the other day has a ton of dirt and a wad of gum on them. I can't imagine cleaning them, as long as nothing appears to be living in there.
              Jeff
              godwulf1@cox.net

Comment

• Neely8
                • Apr 2006

I hope all those who adamantly oppose washing jerseys are also against getting them signed because to me getting a game worn jersey autographed affects the value much more than a simple washing.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Neely8
                  I hope all those who adamantly oppose washing jerseys are also against getting them signed because to me getting a game worn jersey autographed affects the value much more than a simple washing.
                  ding, ding. Give this man a prize.

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2009

I don't like signed gamers either. I had a couple from NFL Auctions but sold them for that reason. I like them as they came off the field not washed or signed or otherwise altered. I don't collect as an investment I just enjoy having them because I am a rabid football fan. I realize older jerseys are pretty much all washed but I don't collect those because they are harder to find and I am not comfortable in determining what is real or not.

Comment

• solarlottry
                      • Jan 2009

"I hope all those who adamantly oppose washing jerseys are also against getting them signed because to me getting a game worn jersey autographed affects the value much more than a simple washing."-posted by Neely8.

Why the "anti-autograph" stance? I like my gamers autographed especially when I am present and can see the players reaction to the shirt.

Some players genuinely enjoy holding and signing their old GU items. John Taylor, Jerry Rice and Rod Woodson all liked seeing their old gamers. On the other hand some could care less or, for some reason did not want to sign what I requested on their GU jersey.

Woodson was about to sign my Raiders gamer of his "game worn 2003" until his agent told him not to!!! Woodson gave his agent a funny look and told me sorry but could not sign it that way. He did say that it was his game worn jersey though which was good enough for me!

I know that having a signature on gamers is a very personal issue but does it really detract from a GU items value?

Personally I would never wash a GU football jersey. The Frank Gore that "Mulligans" was nice enough to part with, was the worst smelling jersey I have ever owned!!! An edict was issued by my wife that it was not to be brought into the house until it was "decontaminated". Well a week on the terrace, in the sea breeze, helped but it still stinks!

As for a change in value, that would be up to the purchaser. If it was a player I needed to complete an aspect of the collection, I would still buy the shirt although, depending on what was "washed out" (if the jersey showed considerable use and the majority of the dirt, hits, field paint etc was washed out) my offer would be somewhat decreased. If my lower offer was going to result in a sale to another collector I would then reconsider and up my offer.

Always buying 49ers gamers and ALL 1994 49ers GU items! Paying a finders fee as well.

Paul
                      garciajones@yahoo.com

Merry Christmas!!!
                      Go 49ers!!!!

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
                        I realize older jerseys are pretty much all washed but I don't collect those because they are harder to find and I am not comfortable in determining what is real or not.
                        Legal,
                        A modern jersey is a quadzillion times harder to authenticate than a vintage one.

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by both-teams-played-hard
                          Legal,
                          A modern jersey is a quadzillion times harder to authenticate than a vintage one.
                          It depends on what you buy. If you buy from NFL Auctions or from a team such as the Packers its already authenticated for you. If your buying from Joe seller who got it from a "team source" then I agree with you.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by solarlottry
                            "I hope all those who adamantly oppose washing jerseys are also against getting them signed because to me getting a game worn jersey autographed affects the value much more than a simple washing."-posted by Neely8.

Why the "anti-autograph" stance? I like my gamers autographed especially when I am present and can see the players reaction to the shirt.
                            I think Neely8 is referring to those opposed to altering a jersey from its original game used condition.

Comment

• Falcon
                              • Jan 2008

Paul: I'm just curious if you ever showed a nasty smelling unwashed gamer to a player and what was his reaction? I would think they'd be a little uncomfortable knowing that smell came from them! Lol

I'm an absolute crazy Atlanta Falcons fan and for that reason, I prefer to not have to worry about my jerseys smelling up the house or making my kids sick if I want to pull them out and let them hold them up to themselves.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Comment

• solarlottry
                                • Jan 2009

Hi Kyle (Falcon) Mele Kalikimaka bradah! GO FALCONS!

I have presented a # of GU unwashed jerseys to their former wearers, but by the time they were signed, the shirts did not smell all that bad. I always air out any unwashed jersey on my lanai for about a week, which usually does a fairly decent job of making the smell bearable.

The Gore still has a fairly pungent scent so it will be interesting to see his expression if i ever get a chance to get it signed.

I see Neely8's point about a signature altering a gamer from its pure form. I guess I am of the faction that believes that the player's own signature does not alter the item enough to detract from its value. In fact I think a nice autograph or inscription can enhance the value of some things.

On the other hand illegible or sloppy autographs or a misspelled or incorrect inscription can most definitely detract from an item.

I am not a fan of religious notations thus a jersey with such a notation would lose value in my book. But if it was a player I have been searching for unsuccessfully for an extended period of time I would still buy the shirt.

Always buying 49ers gamers!
                                Paul
                                garciajones@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...