Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Caution If You Make A Purchase From Jo Sports On Ebay

Even though I went against my own instincts, I purchased a game used football from JO Sports on eBay today. You would think a company whose owner pled guilty to FRAUD would want to clear its' name and try to mend relationships with past buyers or new buyers by being honest. I purchased a game used football that was listed with FREE SHIPPING AND HANDLING. When I received my notification from eBay that I had purchased the item, the handling and shipping charge was 0. When I got my invoice from JO, they had put a $5.00 shipping charge on it. Talk about dishonest -- let's see, I think this may be fraud by attempting to change the listing of an item after it is sold and trying to sneak a shipping charge on it.

Banned

Re: Caution If You Make A Purchase From Jo Sports On Ebay

Quote Originally Posted by short84 View Post
    Even though I went against my own instincts, I purchased a game used football from JO Sports on eBay today. You would think a company whose owner pled guilty to FRAUD would want to clear its' name and try to mend relationships with past buyers or new buyers by being honest. I purchased a game used football that was listed with FREE SHIPPING AND HANDLING. When I received my notification from eBay that I had purchased the item, the handling and shipping charge was 0. When I got my invoice from JO, they had put a $5.00 shipping charge on it. Talk about dishonest -- let's see, I think this may be fraud by attempting to change the listing of an item after it is sold and trying to sneak a shipping charge on it.
    it might have been for insurance. i know from experience they are two seperate charges when dealing with jo.

I don't think so -- the purchase was only $175. I have purchased items from them in the past (last year) and they did not charge any fees when free shipping was offered. I do not think eBay allows a seller to do this -- at least when I offer free shipping I am honest enough to not charge. When it is listed on eBay with free shipping, it is listed with free shipping and handling. I would think any charges that might be added would have to be disclosed in the terms of the sale before they can be added to the invoice. Anyway, they lost a customer.

I'm guessing you didn't attempt to contact them and work this out before coming here to complain about $5.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Let me start by telling you this: I have never used steroids, period."

Sounds like they did not adjust their handling costs. A seller can use FREE shipping, but may still opt to use handling charges. Shipping costs and Handling costs are 2 separate fees added by the seller. If they just re-used a general listing format (which had shipping & handling included), and just clicked the FREE shipping box but did not alter the handling charges, then those charges are still applicable.

If $5 is worth the stink, I would just e-mail them. There's not much we can do for you here, ya know.

Really? For 20 quarters?

Complaints like these or people complaining that their package was delivered safely and they didn't have to sign for it, really just waters down the legitimate concerns/complaints in the hobby.

Yep, you are right. I was stupid to complain about $5. Go ahead and cast the first stone. Life is too short. My apology to every one here --- especially the people at JO Sports.

They fill a very important niche for all us collectors -- without them, I would have more closet space and fewer gifts for other members of my family.

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    Really? For 20 quarters?

Complaints like these or people complaining that their package was delivered safely and they didn't have to sign for it, really just waters down the legitimate concerns/complaints in the hobby.

Greg -

I guess you've never had a complaint in your life about a company not doing its job.

My complaint obviously wasn't legitimate and I shouldn't have said anything.

I really use to like reading your posts, but apparently you - like many of the other elitist of late here - are the only ones who make comments about 'legitimate' concerns and complaints.

I'm sorry that you don't share my concern over shipping companies NOT doing their job - in my business if guys don't do their jobs, they get fired. When in the Air Force, if I 'cut corners' (which is what the delivery guy did) people might have died.

But I guess you're okay with 'good enough' as long as the end result is met.

Smitty

I guess you've never had a complaint in your life about a company not doing its job.
    Sure I have, but first I try and gauge how big a deal it really is. I've had more than one item left at my front steps that said it needed a signature, but one was never requested. Delivery Confirmation tags that never get scanned. Guy charges $5 shipping but only pays $1.50. Annoying? Sure. Am I going to start a thread about it? Don't think so.

I hate to think how little it takes for you guys to leave a negative on eBay.

I'd save my big complaints for the MLB teams. So I could get comped some tix, then immediately try to flip them