X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beantown
    • Nov 2005

Re: All-Star Dealers reality show

Originally posted by Baseball83
    I really liked the show! I was intrigued at the efforts made in authenicating the Roger Staubach jersey. This show clearly set out to demonstrate the process and did just that. As an avid collector I have been there looking for photo match and watched victories and failures like was seen in the show. There were great teaching points made like when we think we have "the jersey" only to find it may have been something else. I am left with a feeling of the excitement of collecting and the intricacies of the forensic process that we talk about every day. Great job Rich Russek. I need more of this show!

Anthony Macchiavelli, M.D.
    Don't be too impressed with their efforts in authenticating the Staubach....the consignor of the jersey did ALL the home work and Grey Flannel presented it as their own...pathetic...Moreover, the word in the hobby is the the "lead authenticator", Nick Coppola, was the same individual that bid and won the jersey...conflict???

Comment

• joelsabi
      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Baseball83
      I really liked the show! I was intrigued at the efforts made in authenicating the Roger Staubach jersey. This show clearly set out to demonstrate the process and did just that. As an avid collector I have been there looking for photo match and watched victories and failures like was seen in the show. There were great teaching points made like when we think we have "the jersey" only to find it may have been something else. I am left with a feeling of the excitement of collecting and the intricacies of the forensic process that we talk about every day. Great job Rich Russek. I need more of this show!

Anthony Macchiavelli, M.D.

I have only seen Russek opening of the package of the Staubach jersey which can be viewed online.

Russek initially said in the online video that it would be great to photo match the jersey to any game but I recognized it as the practice jersey that was sold on GF. Maybe that was part of the discovery that it was a practice jersey and not a college game worn jersey. Was that the finding?

Link to the sale:
      Regards,
      Joel S.
      joelsabi @ gmail.com
      Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• yanks12025
        • Jan 2006

Any one notice on the foxx bat it was drilled out on the barrel. Wouldn't that have taken away from the weight?

Comment

• joelsabi
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by yanks12025
          Any one notice on the foxx bat it was drilled out on the barrel. Wouldn't that have taken away from the weight?
          my first impression when I saw that was it might be corked or as Uncle Vinny said "dual use"
          Regards,
          Joel S.
          joelsabi @ gmail.com
          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• yanks12025
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by kprst6
            The Lance Armsrong was even worse. They couldn't prove he touched the jersey, let alone wore it, and still auctioned it off as a Lance Armstrong racing shirt. Why, because they say it is lol.
            I think they did fine in selling it. They didn't say race worn or anything. They mentioned how it came with a letter from X and how he got it from Y party.

And to the other poster, so if a photo comes from google it can't be used as a photo match. And teams have recycled jerseys years several parts. What if it had pinstripes and matched 100%, but was two years from the tag. Would you still think its not possible.

I'm not trying to defend the show, but seems you guys can't be pleased by anything. Im Surprised you guys haven't said that Holyfield robe was fake.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by yanks12025
              I'm not trying to defend the show, but seems you guys can't be pleased by anything. Im Surprised you guys haven't said that Holyfield robe was fake.
              I agree. Didn't Dave Grob write the letter for the Mets flannel at auction?
              Sand-Knit, photo-match vs. style match, and chain-stitch? You can't see these terms mentioned on other shows, including "Roadshow".
              I thought the bat dudes of this forum would eat up the John Taube analysis like gravy. Don't forget: reality show doesn't mean hidden-camera show.
              I enjoyed the second week of this show, also.

Comment

• jsage
                • Oct 2011

Originally posted by both-teams-played-hard
                I agree. Didn't Dave Grob write the letter for the Mets flannel at auction?
                Sand-Knit, photo-match vs. style match, and chain-stitch? You can't see these terms mentioned on other shows, including "Roadshow".
                I thought the bat dudes of this forum would eat up the John Taube analysis like gravy. Don't forget: reality show doesn't mean hidden-camera show.
                I enjoyed the second week of this show, also.
                I agree.................. It is a fast paced enjoyable show that fits perfectly into our interest in sports items. Richard Russek likes to make deals and likes to make money - is that a bad thing? He is very humble and respectful when meeting people like Rodman, Worthy and Holleyfield. When he was in LA, you could see that he wanted the John Wooden Jacket very badly and was "into the hunt". Like all of us - he did not want to miss out.
                The one thing for sure - at least this show does not feel the need to have a "Chumley Character" (Pawn Stars) to "entertain us".

Comment

• gingi79
                  • Aug 2007

Originally posted by jsage
                  I agree.................. It is a fast paced enjoyable show that fits perfectly into our interest in sports items. Richard Russek likes to make deals and likes to make money - is that a bad thing? He is very humble and respectful when meeting people like Rodman, Worthy and Holleyfield. When he was in LA, you could see that he wanted the John Wooden Jacket very badly and was "into the hunt". Like all of us - he did not want to miss out.
                  The one thing for sure - at least this show does not feel the need to have a "Chumley Character" (Pawn Stars) to "entertain us".

Like many hobbies, you either "get it" or you don't. When you are a part of it, jerseys and bats and helmets are seen as part of our individual and shared history, treasured keepsakes and valuable mementos. Those not into the hobby see it as throwing away money on torn, dirty clothing and useless firewood, most of which is fake anyway. One co-worker once opined we must be "non-athletic failures hoping to associate yourself with someone successful" and couldn't understand why we would "want some other guy's shirt or broken stick especially since you'll never prove it was really worn by them anyway." (This is NOT a unique perspective from outsiders by the way. My wife's friend asked why it seemed so many so-called valuable items seem to be mailed to "some random house and then manhandled like they are unwanted hand-me-downs?"

I say all of this because this show, fair or not, is the biggest current spotlight and insight into our small hobby for both those in and out of the hobby. Any time something is done to undermine or cast a poor light upon the hobby is met with hostility from those in the hobby and seen as another reason for outsiders to poo-poo it.

Rich has a spectacular opportunity here, to show the hobby and those interested in learning about the hobby how important authentication is, ways in which things are authenticated and how respected and cherished the items are by fans. Some of his commentary and actions seem to contradict those ideals.

In reading posts on this board, most of the complaints have been geared towards Grey Flannel's handling of incoming material, taking credit for doing the homework the collector actually provided and being excited about items while ignoring red flags. Those are issues we regularly lampoon on this website, aren't they?

The public's awareness of our hobby's black eye from other auction houses and disgraced dealers unfortunately forces this show to be a proverbial icepack and a bandage. Instead, issues with their own prior authentication mistakes and outsiders who believe the cast appear arrogant and self aggrandizing "experts" if only in their own minds, makes it feel more like another sucker punch......
                  Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Comment

• blackbeard
                    • Mar 2006

Really blew my mind that they gave this guy his own show. He hasn't changed much in the 6 years since I worked for him at GF.

I laugh at this. Wasnt too long ago I personally taught young Michael the proper way to pack a game used jersey into a fedex box. And now hes on national TV talking Jimmie Fox bats. Only in America.

The cable ratings are pretty much at the bottom of the barrel for this time slot. I doubt the show runs its entire season...especially with the public outcry of Swamp Loggers not being renewed.
                    :)

Comment

• punch
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by blackbeard
                      Really blew my mind that they gave this guy his own show. He hasn't changed much in the 6 years since I worked for him at GF.

I laugh at this. Wasnt too long ago I personally taught young Michael the proper way to pack a game used jersey into a fedex box. And now hes on national TV talking Jimmie Fox bats. Only in America.

The cable ratings are pretty much at the bottom of the barrel for this time slot. I doubt the show runs its entire season...especially with the public outcry of Swamp Loggers not being renewed.
                      Good any good stories? Any big wins and big busts? You gotta have some good tales.

Comment

• genius
                        • Aug 2007

Don't be so sure that they "gave" Grey Flannel this show. GF might be paying for both the production and the tv time. Cable networks do deals like this frequently. Bottom line is it's an infomercial for them. If someone else is paying for it then wow what a great deal. Either way I think it's cool and great for business.

Comment

• blackbeard
                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by punch
                          Good any good stories? Any big wins and big busts? You gotta have some good tales.
                          Well, I was there for almost two years between 05-07ish. As for stories...there are many. Wore the million dollar Ruth jersey in the office one day. I would have to say that one of my favorite items was swinging around Aaron Boones HR bat.

I wouldn't say my time there was bad, it was something different everyday and I worked with good people (from what I understand the entire staff has changed over since my time there besides rich and his boys). I'm sure a lot of these reality show people do a lot of acting, Rich is pretty much the same on TV as he is in real life as I'm sure some of you know via phone or personally.

Guy is a good business man, I will give him that.
                          :)

Comment

• Jags Fan Dan
                            • Apr 2007

I watched the first two episodes yesterday, and while I understand this guy is running a for-profit business, I did get a little bit tired of hearing how much money he stood to make on any given item if it was authenticated as this or that. It's fine to me to say: "If this is really this, then it is worth this much money." But I just found it a little off-putting how often he seemed to be rubbing his hands together waiting for the big payday on the items. Again, I know he is in a business and this show is no different from other shows I enjoy like American Pickers where part of the interest is what the item is worth. The difference to me is Mike and Frank don't constantly put it in the audiences faces exactly how much money they stand to make.

The other thing this show really impressed upon me is how much pressure authenticators get to "find something" to link an item to this or that. I just got the feeling that you could hand them a pair of your boxer shorts and they could somehow find a link to them possibly being worn by JFK.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Jags Fan Dan

The other thing this show really impressed upon me is how much pressure authenticators get to "find something" to link an item to this or that. I just got the feeling that you could hand them a pair of your boxer shorts and they could somehow find a link to them possibly being worn by JFK.
                              I think they have the same amount of pressure to determine if the item is bogus. Grey Flannel has made mistakes, but it seems this show makes their methods more transparent.

Comment

• kprst6
                                • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Jags Fan Dan
                                I just got the feeling that you could hand them a pair of your boxer shorts and they could somehow find a link to them possibly being worn by JFK.
                                They would "authenticate" it by saying the specific boxers last product year was 1959 and that they were likely left in the white house by Eisenhower and re-issued to Kennedy 2 years later. There would be no stains or proof they were ever worn or touched by a president, but would be put in their auction as "JFK Boxers", and purposely omitting the fact that there is no proof the boxers were ever in the White House or even touched by JFK. Deception by omission seems to be their greatest asset as a $400.00 Armstrong racing suit sold for $2,000 just because they attached the name Lance Armstrong to it but never had any proof that he wore it, touched it, and did no additional research to see how many other riders/fans own and wore the same exact suit.

Comment

Working...