Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

World Series Team Sets

I've recently added a few 2011 bats from the World Champion Cardinals and it got me thinking ... who do I include in the set?

Do those of you who collect team sets only collect those who played in the World Series/playoffs or anyone who spent time with the team in the year?

Looking forward to hearing some responses.

-Tyler
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

Re: World Series Team Sets

I just collected the starters from the 2002 Anaheim Angels World Series Championship team. My bats aren't all from the actual World Series year though. I have Scott Spiezio, Adam Kennedy, David Eckstein, Troy Glaus, Brad Fullmer, Garret Anderson, Darin Erstad, and Tim Salmon. I still need to get a Bengie Molina game-used bat though to complete the set.

The only one I know was used in the 2002 postseason is a game-used Darin Erstad World Series bat as shown below:

Quote Originally Posted by erstad-collector View Post
    I just collected the starters from the 2002 Anaheim Angels World Series Championship team. My bats aren't all from the actual World Series year though. I have Scott Spiezio, Adam Kennedy, David Eckstein, Troy Glaus, Brad Fullmer, Garret Anderson, Darin Erstad, and Tim Salmon. I still need to get a Bengie Molina game-used bat though to complete the set.

The only one I know was used in the 2002 postseason is a game-used Darin Erstad World Series bat as shown below:

Nice bat! Did you try for pitchers at all for your set?
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

Not to change the subject but similarly to the baseball collectors, I am trying to complete the starting lineup for the 1994 SF 49ers. This includes offense, defense and special teams. This adds up to 25 players.

I have been actively trying to complete this collection for at least 5 years and at this point am only missing 3 players:
    Lee Woodall
    Derrick Deese
    Dennis Brown

I am only considering gamers from the 1994 season to complete the collection. It has not been easy finding some of these shirts as the lineman and kickers were tough to find.

I am sure this is the case when attempting to put together a WS collection. I have seen some amazing collections on the GUU forum and wish my fellow collectors luck in completing their team sets!

Always buying 49ers gamers and paying a finders fee!
    Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com

I collected a bat from all 21 position players on the 2005 Chicago White Sox World Series Team. When that was complete I started on the 4 starting pitchers and Bobby Jenks.

Still need Freddy Garcia and Jenks.

Will post some pictures later.

When I started doing team sets, I focused on position players with at least 100 ABs, starting pitchers and the closer. Once I had all those, I'd move on to grab any bat of any player who was with the team at any point during the season. So, kind of a two-step approach -- get the key guys, then expand. You'll go nuts trying to get everyone, so he helps to focus on key guys. 100 ABs is just a random number, but it does seem to be a good dividing line between key players and role players.

Everyone has some good points. I really like the 100 AB as a start.

I'm looking forward to hearing some other responses as well as seeing any photos!

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by erstad-collector View Post

Awesome Ersty bat!

I collect anybody that spent any time with the team during the year, including all coaches and the manager. Of course, we only have one World Series, the 2002 Angels. The bats don't have to be from that exact season, although many of them are from 2002. I have all the position players, the manager Mike Scioscia, and bats from all the coaches except Bud Black (not sure if he had a bat). I also have several of the pitchers, although it is not clear if some of the relief pitchers especially ever had bats. I did the same with jerseys from the 2002 Angels, and did get jerseys from all the players during the season, even if only one appearance, the coaches and the manager.

When my Angels collapsed in 1986, I thought that might be the closest we would ever get to the World Series, so I collected a complete set of bats of all the position players who played that year, plus the coaches who had bats and the manager, Gene Mauch. I was able to get jerseys of the entire post season roster including the manager and coaches, and also picked up jerseys of all other players who appeared even once during 1986 except for two pitchers who had very brief cameo appearances during the season.

Tom

I collect position players from 98-00 Yankees. The bats must be year appropriate. I am 2 players short of all of them. It is tough because there were a few guys who played in just a handfull of games.