X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Re: Montero Traded from Yankees

Originally posted by 5toolplayer

You're right high speed I only care about his G/U items and the value of them.....Or maybe because I know the family and how much they wanted Jesus to become a star in NY. I don't collect his stuff to make a profit. I could care less what they are worth because I will never try to move any of it. I just think its a bad move moving a homegrown, middle of the order bat for pitching right now with Manny and Dellin on the way.
    I think I too would be a bit devastated as a collector if the player I collect was also playing for my favorite team and then all of the sudden he is traded away.

Unfortunately, time and patience is something that the Yankee GM lacks as his MO is to win a championship now instead of building for the future. I think the trade made sense for both sides as the trade addressed a current need for both teams. I too had high hopes for Montero as a Yankee but I would have been even in favor of the Montero - Cliff Lee trade back in 2010 more so than the current trade with Michael Pineda, who seems like a great young pitcher with a full season in the major leagues to boot and with some upside. Hopefully Pineda's arm is managed properly by the Yankees.

Where is your family and Montero's family in the picture?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• gorilla777
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Masimen
      Regardless of whether or not you like the move, which I believe was smart move by the Yankees and it seems those sentiments are shared by most of the so called experts, I have always been a believer that hitching your collecting wagon to a prospect is an extremely risky move from an investment standpoint. Especially if said prospect is a Yankee prospect. You will almost always come out in the negative if you decide to liquidate down the road. Now if that isn't a concern and you are just collecting to collect then no harm I suppose. I still remember what Drew Hensen bats were selling for in 99.
      Steve, this is a good point

Comment

• 5toolplayer
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by joelsabi
        I think I too would be a bit devastated as a collector if the player I collect was also playing for my favorite team and then all of the sudden he is traded away.

Unfortunately, time and patience is something that the Yankee GM lacks as his MO is to win a championship now instead of building for the future. I think the trade made sense for both sides as the trade addressed a current need for both teams. I too had high hopes for Montero as a Yankee but I would have been even in favor of the Montero - Cliff Lee trade back in 2010 more so than the current trade with Michael Pineda, who seems like a great young pitcher with a full season in the major leagues to boot and with some upside. Hopefully Pineda's arm is managed properly by the Yankees.

Where is your family and Montero's family in the picture?
        Very good post sir
        My wife and I are in the NY away jerseys. In between us is Jesus's mom and dad. His girlfriends dad and brother are on the end. A great down to earth family. I'll be meeting up with them Aug 6-8 when the M's visit Baltimore.
        5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET

Comment

• 5toolplayer
          • Apr 2011

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Or here is another way to think of it: In five years, what is more likely, that Pineda is a No. 1 starter or Montero is a No. 4 hitter?

5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET

Comment

• 5toolplayer
            • Apr 2011

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Or here is another way to think of it: In five years, what is more likely, that Pineda is a No. 1 starter or Montero is a No. 4 hitter?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...IXhCTt2x9OejKJ
            Nice article from the NY Post below:

5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET

Comment

• gorilla777
              • Aug 2009

I thought "this convo is over"?

Comment

• 5toolplayer
                • Apr 2011

maybe I should have said, "I'm done talking to you"
                The article just stresses the points I was trying to make. Now I'm done
                5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET

Comment

• gorilla777
                  • Aug 2009

Finally, what a relief that is to hear

Comment

• kellsox
                    • Jan 2006

Nice article from the NY Post below:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...hCTt2x9OejKJ/0
                    Good trade for ny. If they didn't see montero, there's no use keeping him to dh. They'll need that slot for the corpse of arod and his never ending contract.

Comment

• kellsox
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by kellsox
                      Good trade for ny. If they didn't see montero, there's no use keeping him to dh. They'll need that slot for the corpse of arod and his never ending contract.
                      Meant to say "didn't see montero as a catcher"

Comment

• dwn1955
                        • Mar 2008

Being a Yankee fan myself I wasn't too thrilled with the trade either. And while it may be like comparing apples to oranges as Montero likely has more potential at a younger age, the September numbers he put up are pretty meaningless. Remember Shane Spencer, September 1998, 60 some ABs, 10 homers .373 avg and a nice ALDS? Nice player but it was pretty much downhill for his career after that. Just saying.

Comment

• Lennox.P
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
                          the yankees have more hitting than any of those teams. stanton and montero dont compare stanton has almost as many homers as montero has plate appearances at the same age, they are a couple of weeks apart. i can understand your frustration as a fan and collector though. i am a jets fan. i invested in keyshawn shortly before he was traded and when that happened i was so upset about it.
                          @legaleagle92481

if you still have some keyshawn stuff contact me at
                          lorraine4me2000@yahoo.de

Comment

• 5toolplayer
                            • Apr 2011

Mark Feinsand ? @BloggingBombers

Brian Cashman just told me Pineda will have an MRI on his right shoulder.

WHAT A GREAT TRADE FOR THE YANKEES!! THIS KID LOOKS LIKE A YOUNG ACE IN THE MAKING. HAHAHAHA....20 LBS OVER WEIGHT AND NOW SHOULDER PROBLEMS. This will end up being the Worst trade in NYY history
                            5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET

Comment

• yanks12025
                              • Jan 2006

Mark Feinsand ? @BloggingBombers

Brian Cashman just told me Pineda will have an MRI on his right shoulder.

WHAT A GREAT TRADE FOR THE YANKEES!! THIS KID LOOKS LIKE A YOUNG ACE IN THE MAKING. HAHAHAHA....20 LBS OVER WEIGHT AND NOW SHOULDER PROBLEMS. This will end up being the Worst trade in NYY history
                              Worst trade. Yeah I'm sure, Well see after montero bats 250 this year.

Comment

• frikativ54
                                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by yanks12025
                                Worst trade. Yeah I'm sure, Well see after montero bats 250 this year.
                                It's too early to tell IMO. Give it a few years.
                                Les Zukor
                                bagwellgameused@gmail.com
                                Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
                                (617) 682-0408

Comment

Working...