Banned

Re: Montero Traded from Yankees

Quote Originally Posted by 5toolplayer View Post
    2011: Cards: Carpenter
    2010: Giants: Timmy L., Cain
    2009: Yankees: CC
    2008: Phils: Hamels
    2007: Red Sox: Beckett, Schilling

Yup again you experts on here are correct. Those teams listed above had no GREAT hitters at all. It was all pitching and no hitting. I'm done going back and forth about it. We will see in 5 years what a great trade this was. I along with tons of real yankee fans think this was a bad move. Montero has been followed by true fans for many years in hopes of finally having another young hitter in the lineup that was a homegrown stud. Pineda has done nothing but have few good weeks to start the season then totally tanked to the tune of a 5.12 ERA. I guess young .300 hitters with 30+ Hr power are a dime a dozen. Maybe Miami will trade Stanton to the yankees for Nova. Seems like a good trade considering the numbers Nova put up last year. Sounds pretty stupid huh? Talk to me in 2017 about this same topic. Worst trade in the Cashman era.
    the yankees have more hitting than any of those teams. stanton and montero dont compare stanton has almost as many homers as montero has plate appearances at the same age, they are a couple of weeks apart. i can understand your frustration as a fan and collector though. i am a jets fan. i invested in keyshawn shortly before he was traded and when that happened i was so upset about it.

You're very funny, saying that we're not real "Yankee Fans" cause we actually like the trade. Only reason you want him to stay a Yankee is for his game used prices to go up. We'll see in five years, when Pinada is an all-star and Montero is just a DH.

The way you talk about him, is that he's has been around for years putting up a .300 batting average and over 30 homeruns. But in fact it's only been 62 at-bats. I'm sure there have been several other top prospects who have failed after having a good first 62 at-bats.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    You're very funny, saying that we're not real "Yankee Fans" cause we actually like the trade. Only reason you want him to stay a Yankee is for his game used prices to go up. We'll see in five years, when Pinada is an all-star and Montero is just a DH.

The way you talk about him, is that he's has been around for years putting up a .300 batting average and over 30 homeruns. But in fact it's only been 62 at-bats. I'm sure there have been several other top prospects who have failed after having a good first 62 at-bats.
    Gregg Jefferies comes to mind. He was supposed to be the next great thing. In his first year (29 games) he had .320 with 6 homers and 17 rbis at age 20. He finished sixth in the rookie of the year race that year. He had two all star years later on with the Cardinals but was never close to a superstar never hitting over 20 homers or knocking in a 100 runs.

Cool Re: Montero Traded from Yankees

Another thing to consider that some might not look at. Pineda pitched in a number of games that he gave up 2-3 runs, in Seattle that's almost an automatic loss for you. In NY, you're still more than likely gonna get the win at that point. They have run support, plain and simple.

As for the getting rocked by Boston in his lone appearance against them, let's not forget that the Yankees Ace, Sabathia gave up at least 6 runs to Boston THREE times last year. So Pineda did it once but your ace did it 3 times and Pineda is the guy that sucks?

Overall on paper some may see this as a bad trade for either or both teams, some see it as being great. There is no way we'll know until they play the field, the only ones who make or break this trade is the players themselves no matter what we think of the players or how we rate their abilities.

I have high hopes for Montero but we've seen all too many times in the past that a sure thing hitter has gone bust, that's what worries me. We only saw a small sampling of his ability to handle the bigs, doesn't mean he can make a case to stay up.
    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post

You're right high speed I only care about his G/U items and the value of them.....Or maybe because I know the family and how much they wanted Jesus to become a star in NY. I don't collect his stuff to make a profit. I could care less what they are worth because I will never try to move any of it. I just think its a bad move moving a homegrown, middle of the order bat for pitching right now with Manny and Dellin on the way.
    5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET

You're right high speed I only care about his G/U items and the value of them.....Or maybe because I know the family and how much they wanted Jesus to become a star in NY. I don't collect his stuff to make a profit. I could care less what they are worth because I will never try to move any of it. I just think its a bad move moving a homegrown, middle of the order bat for pitching right now with Manny and Dellin on the way.
    I think I too would be a bit devastated as a collector if the player I collect was also playing for my favorite team and then all of the sudden he is traded away.

Unfortunately, time and patience is something that the Yankee GM lacks as his MO is to win a championship now instead of building for the future. I think the trade made sense for both sides as the trade addressed a current need for both teams. I too had high hopes for Montero as a Yankee but I would have been even in favor of the Montero - Cliff Lee trade back in 2010 more so than the current trade with Michael Pineda, who seems like a great young pitcher with a full season in the major leagues to boot and with some upside. Hopefully Pineda's arm is managed properly by the Yankees.

Where is your family and Montero's family in the picture?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by Masimen View Post
    Regardless of whether or not you like the move, which I believe was smart move by the Yankees and it seems those sentiments are shared by most of the so called experts, I have always been a believer that hitching your collecting wagon to a prospect is an extremely risky move from an investment standpoint. Especially if said prospect is a Yankee prospect. You will almost always come out in the negative if you decide to liquidate down the road. Now if that isn't a concern and you are just collecting to collect then no harm I suppose. I still remember what Drew Hensen bats were selling for in 99.
    Steve, this is a good point

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    I think I too would be a bit devastated as a collector if the player I collect was also playing for my favorite team and then all of the sudden he is traded away.

Unfortunately, time and patience is something that the Yankee GM lacks as his MO is to win a championship now instead of building for the future. I think the trade made sense for both sides as the trade addressed a current need for both teams. I too had high hopes for Montero as a Yankee but I would have been even in favor of the Montero - Cliff Lee trade back in 2010 more so than the current trade with Michael Pineda, who seems like a great young pitcher with a full season in the major leagues to boot and with some upside. Hopefully Pineda's arm is managed properly by the Yankees.

Where is your family and Montero's family in the picture?
    Very good post sir
    My wife and I are in the NY away jerseys. In between us is Jesus's mom and dad. His girlfriends dad and brother are on the end. A great down to earth family. I'll be meeting up with them Aug 6-8 when the M's visit Baltimore.
    5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Or here is another way to think of it: In five years, what is more likely, that Pineda is a No. 1 starter or Montero is a No. 4 hitter?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...IXhCTt2x9OejKJ
    5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Or here is another way to think of it: In five years, what is more likely, that Pineda is a No. 1 starter or Montero is a No. 4 hitter?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...IXhCTt2x9OejKJ
    Nice article from the NY Post below:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yanke...hCTt2x9OejKJ/0
    5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET