Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Jeter foul ball from 3000 hit AB to be auctioned

I would think these would get the real $$$$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVvhboh5lik
    The ball being auctioned by MEARS WAS specially marked by MLB prior to
    being used.

I do know after personally speaking with an MLB that they do have
    some sort of special marking on the ball that only they can tell
    if a ball is the actual record ball.

Long story short, I bought one of these specially marked ball fouled
    off by Ichiro back in 2004 when he was chasing the hit record, on Ebay.
    All it had was the S- and a number (can't remember off hand)

I sent it off to MLB and they were able to authenticate to the exact
    date and inning it was used. It matched the letter of provenance the
    seller gave to me with the ball. It took about 3 months to get the ball
    back but it came back MLB authenticated with a hologram and letter.
    However when I asked how they knew, they told me they couldn't
    disclose. I guess that's the whole point.

Goh Nishiyama

PS I have attached a picture of a Jeter ball from his chase of
    the Yankees hit record. Its stated as "game-used" since it was
    in the umpires ball bag. If you check down the numbers, the
    later ones are just listed as game-ready. The term "used" is
    used loosely, similar to a pitcher who didn't pitch's jersey,
    but at least the it's described.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

does anyone here have any of the other 48 marked baseballs? although unused do they hold any significance or value?

there was a discussion on another forum that game used members might want to be aware of if this shows up at an auction in the future. it's one of the specially marked baseballs that was authenticated by MLB as being a game ready baseball that the owner added a black bat mark to give it an appearance as being game used. it's really sad to see a nice piece of memorabilia destroyed like this, even sadder that this wonderful moment for Jeter and baseball gets tainted by money.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees24 View Post
    there was a discussion on another forum that game used members might want to be aware of if this shows up at an auction in the future. it's one of the specially marked baseballs that was authenticated by MLB as being a game ready baseball that the owner added a black bat mark to give it an appearance as being game used. it's really sad to see a nice piece of memorabilia destroyed like this, even sadder that this wonderful moment for Jeter and baseball gets tainted by money.

In David Price's post game interview he said he saw J3 marking on one of the baseballs. I don't know if I would take his word for it though because he said the homerun baseball was J1 and that was the foul ball auctioned.

http://www.experiencefestival.com/wp...it/RShZy39ZXH4

This was one of the most highly secured and scrutinized moments in baseball history and it his highly doubtful MLB Authenticated would have incorrectly documented the description of the specially marked baseballs.

J7 is the homerun baseball

[IMG]http://images.search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0PDoTFYRz1PZyoA50KjzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBtdXFkOWt hBHNlYwNmcC1hdHRyaWIEc2xrA2ZpbWc-/SIG=16nnuhaae/EXP=1329444824/**http%3a//l.yimg.com/iu/api/res/1.2/YPllT2HqTyiSJuKxOOihvA--/YXBwaWQ9eXZpZGVvO2NyPTA7ZHg9MDtkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcA--/http%3a//d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ac/42/fullj.661ac923bde86db1948e8a5bb33ba6b1/87923730.jpg[/IMG]

Those who keep track of this, there was someone who commented on another online article that they are in possession of the other foul ball given to a small girl by the Yankees ball boy.

"My daughter is the “young girl” given the foul ball hit by Jeter the pitch before he went over for #3000. As a huge Yankees (and Jeter) fan, July 9, 2011 was a magical day for myself and my family. Not only was it the first time we attended a Yankees game (my daughters’ first MLB game), but we ended up witnessing Derek Jeter make baseball history. To top it off, my eight year old walked out of Yankee Stadium with a piece of that history in her hand. In short, this “J2″ ball is priceless, and will retain a place of honor in our family for generations to come. This ball represents one of the best days of our lives, and will stay off of the auction block."

In the database the last marked ball is J49 and there are 46 baseballs authenticated.

So maybe the J3 was used afterall as three balls out of four baseballs are accounted for. J3 is the only one list in the MLB database and was fouled to the backstop. The pitcher seems to corroborate the story in his interview and J1 kinda looks like J7.

Maybe the umpire was superstitious and select J3 (jeter number) and lucky 7.

Scenario

fouled back (J3) 2-1 count
    fouled to right side on 3-2 count (J1) Sold by Mears
    hit foul to left side batboy given to kid (J2)
    homerun (J7)

Unless there is a J50 baseball but someone reported there were only 48 baseballs.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    In the database the last marked ball is J49 and there are 46 baseballs authenticated.

So maybe the J3 was used afterall as three balls out of four baseballs are accounted for. J3 is the only one list in the MLB database and was fouled to the backstop. The pitcher seems to corroborate the story in his interview and J1 kinda looks like J7.

Maybe the umpire was superstitious and select J3 (jeter number) and lucky 7.

Scenario

fouled back (J3) 2-1 count
    fouled to right side on 3-2 count (J1) Sold by Mears
    hit foul to left side batboy given to kid (J2)
    homerun (J7)

Unless there is a J50 baseball but someone reported there were only 48 baseballs.
    Correct, only 48 baseballs were marked for the moment. I believe this photo is from the MLB Fan Cave where they were on display before the milestone.

Quote Originally Posted by salmon View Post
    Correct, only 48 baseballs were marked for the moment. I believe this photo is from the MLB Fan Cave where they were on display before the milestone.

i counted wrong. 45 chase baseball authenticated out of the 48 baseballs are in the MLB database as game ready. (FJ645131 to FJ645175). R1, R2, and and R7 are missing from the consecutive holograms.

I could not find the auctual 3000th baseball but maybe someone knows where it is located on the database. So one of the baseballs must have to been used even tho it was authenticated as game ready and likely the baseball hit to the backstop. I am bit surprised that there was no description for the missing fourth baseball from the yankee authenticator since there have been trial runs from a recent chase events, ie. Arod's 600 homerun.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    i counted wrong. 45 chase baseball authenticated out of the 48 baseballs are in the MLB database as game ready. (FJ645131 to FJ645175). R1, R2, and and R7 are missing from the consecutive holograms.

I could not find the auctual 3000th baseball but maybe someone knows where it is located on the database. So one of the baseballs must have to been used even tho it was authenticated as game ready and likely the baseball hit to the backstop. I am bit surprised that there was no description for the missing fourth baseball from the yankee authenticator since there have been trial runs from a recent chase events, ie. Arod's 600 homerun.
    I am assuming that both the foul ball hit to the backstop and 3000 hit homerun were authenticated while the game was in progress as game used and FJ645131 through FJ645175 after the game was completed, thus the "game ready" description. MLB Authenticated on Twitter usually posts photos of milestone items, but the 3000 hit baseball is conspicously not shown.

Quote Originally Posted by salmon View Post
    I am assuming that both the foul ball hit to the backstop and 3000 hit homerun were authenticated while the game was in progress as game used and FJ645131 through FJ645175 after the game was completed, thus the "game ready" description. MLB Authenticated on Twitter usually posts photos of milestone items, but the 3000 hit baseball is conspicously not shown.
    thats what I was trying to find out if I could find the 3000th hit baseball. I am assuming that there is no foul ball authenticated next to it because then there would be an extra baseball which doesn't make sense.

im thinking that the J3 was the first baseball used at the Jeter at bat.

what i am saying is it may not have been doctored as member yankees24 stated
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Truely who cares about a foul ball or even a game used ball!!!! gimme a break