Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Who's going into HOF?

Mark Mcgwire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlie Medina III
    carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

Banned

He's the only one worthy in this grouping besides Goose in my opinion. He better at least have 50% of the vote this year. There is no reason why he should not be in there this year....none!!!!

Aaron

I believe the original post by Ken concerned specifically entry into the Hall via the Veteran's Committee. However, McGwire's entry potential is a great discussion topic as well. I have always liked McGwire, but the steroid accusations may take awhile for the voters to sort through. Lots of legal activities (testimonials) have yet to be disclosed or take place concerning players with Hall potential and some voters may wait to see what facts are uncovered prior to rendering an opinion. I just do not believe anyone will be able to state with certainty who did NOT embark on supplementation. As has been stated to monotony, the Player's Association and MLB's dropping of the ball with respect to mandatory testing has had so many ramifications beyond the pure health of those involved and those whom have modeled this behavior.

With the onset on the "Steroid Decades" as I call it, a review of great players list who previously just missed the Hall by fractions of a point to Jack Morris to Bill Madlock,Munson,Mattingly,Santo,etc will now be revisited and welcomed.
    They deserve it and Message Sent.

IFf Puckett is in, then there is no doubt that Donnie Baseball should be there too !!!!!!!!!! I don't want to hear that he never won a championship, Hall of Fame should be judged on personal acheivements not team success. The player goes in not the team !!!

George

George,
    I couldn't agree more. Look at all of the voting criteria and its a crime that Mattingly is not in there.

Mike

Sorry, guys, but having one mistake in the HOF (Puckett) does not justify making another (Mattingly) or even others (Murphy, Rice, Maris, Munson, Hodges.) These guys were very, very good players, but that just makes them borderline HOFers, that's all. Do we really need more of those in the Hall?

I say we start pulling people OUT of the HOF! Off the bat, I nominate a couple old-timers -- George Kelly and Rube Marquard, along with some new guys -- Puckett and Ozzie Smith. (Sure, I love those guys, they were fun to watch, had great personalities, and were the type of players I want my kids to be. But 1st ballot HOFers??)

Ken

Does anyone feel that the steroids situation will help some of the borderline guys now (the ones that were not on steroids)?

Also, does anyone here use www.baseball-reference.com when looking up the player's stats? If you do, there is something that shows who are the 10 most similar players to that person. For instance, 8 of the 10 players listed for Bert Blyleven are in the Hall of Fame. For Tim Raines, 5 of the 10 are in. For Mark McGwire and Don Mattingly, 2 of the 10 are in. I think that this is a good reference to use for your case.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
    Sorry, guys, but having one mistake in the HOF (Puckett) does not justify making another (Mattingly) or even others (Murphy, Rice, Maris, Munson, Hodges.) These guys were very, very good players, but that just makes them borderline HOFers, that's all. Do we really need more of those in the Hall?

I say we start pulling people OUT of the HOF! Off the bat, I nominate a couple old-timers -- George Kelly and Rube Marquard, along with some new guys -- Puckett and Ozzie Smith. (Sure, I love those guys, they were fun to watch, had great personalities, and were the type of players I want my kids to be. But 1st ballot HOFers??)

Ken
    I agree on Ozzie Smith. A wonderful athlete, all field, no hit...not a hall of famer. They made a mistake there. I don't think Mattingly or Puckett or Rice, etc. should be in either. The Hall is for top guys, not borderline...

Mattingly was one of my favorite players and if he had remained healthy might be a HOF candidate but his career numbers don't justify it in my opinion. To me the HOF should be reserved for players of superstar ability and not players who were just very, very good. As for Maris, I understand the argument because of the home run record. However his overall numbers don't justify it. He really had only two outstanding seasons , 60 and 61. Except for 61 he never hit more than 39 home runs in a year and finished with less than 300 and a batting average far below .300. The question with Maris is how short a time frame for excellence do we look at. Should everyone who has a season or a moment of excellence be in the Hall? If that were the case we could have everyone who has pitched a perfect game in the Hall because you can't be any better for one game. We all have players like Mattingly that we like but if you take a hard look at the career numbers they don't measure up. (I know this is opinion which makes it interestingly since obviously people will differ.)