Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Hybrid View

Re: Who's going into HOF?

I hope this thread continues for awhile. Too many people are left out for who knows what reason, but it really does not seem to add up. Of non pitchers, here are some thoughts.

Statistically if Kirby Puckett is in, so should Tony Oliva. 5 time Hit champ, 3 time Batting Avg. Champ, also was Slugging Average & Run champion for a year. He was a very solid all-around player plagued by bad knees that caused him to retire early.

Dick Allen is another. 3 time Slugging Champ, 2 time Home Run Champ, 1 x RBI champ. Portrayed as a jerk in his day by the media (I have never met the man), but someone who was always feared at the plate.

Ron Santo is yet another. Continually amongst the leaders in On Base Percentage, slugging, and RBI's, he was also a fantastic 3rd baseman only bettered in his day, by Brooks Robinson in my opinion. Point.....what percentage of all HOF's are 3rd Baseman? This needs to change! Name a National League 3rd baseman who outplayed Santo annually offensively and defensively.

Last, one which was not on the list below, Ken Williams. One of two men to interupt Babe Ruth's hold as the yearly A.L. Home Run Crown in the 20's (1922, the other was 1925, an injury riddled year for Babe I believe). Regardless, lifetime .319 batting avg., .393 OBP, and .530 slugging avg., but had only 6 seasons of over 130 games played. I personally would like to learn more about him.

I'd say Santo.

As for Dick Allen, I believe it was Bill James who referred to him as the biggest locker room cancer to ever play the game with the exception of Hal Chase (if you're not sure how extreme that is, read up on Hal Chase sometime).

I am not going to help this one out - but I think Will Clark deserves more than 4% of the vote.

Blyleven needs to get in too...

Dave

I always felt that Blyleven should go in as well. The negative is he just missed 300 wins, which both Niekro and Sutton did get to. Blyleven is somebody that probably will make it with the Veteran's committee someday.

It will be interesting to see how many votes Tim Raines gets with his first appearance. I consider him to be borderline yes, but we will see.

Mark Mcgwire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carlie Medina III
    carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

Banned

He's the only one worthy in this grouping besides Goose in my opinion. He better at least have 50% of the vote this year. There is no reason why he should not be in there this year....none!!!!

Aaron

I believe the original post by Ken concerned specifically entry into the Hall via the Veteran's Committee. However, McGwire's entry potential is a great discussion topic as well. I have always liked McGwire, but the steroid accusations may take awhile for the voters to sort through. Lots of legal activities (testimonials) have yet to be disclosed or take place concerning players with Hall potential and some voters may wait to see what facts are uncovered prior to rendering an opinion. I just do not believe anyone will be able to state with certainty who did NOT embark on supplementation. As has been stated to monotony, the Player's Association and MLB's dropping of the ball with respect to mandatory testing has had so many ramifications beyond the pure health of those involved and those whom have modeled this behavior.

Dave Concepcion

Slybry,
    Mattingly won a batting championship in 1984. Also, world championships are teams, not individuals. And, others, Cecil Cooper....he was an excellent hitter, but to put him as a similar caliber player as Mattingly is goofy. Mattingly was one of the top 2-3 players of the 80's and the face of a team. Cooper was not. A great hitter, yes, but I don't think its a fair comparison.
    We're all looking at stats and that's great. But, if you look at the actual voting criteria, there's a lot more that goes into it. I am as big of a Mattingly fan as you'll find and I want him to be in. But, even he says that it would just be the icing on the cake. I hope someday they'll put him in, but it would be hard to come back from last year when he received less than 10% of the vote.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by nomarmauerfan View Post
    Slybry,
    Mattingly won a batting championship in 1984. Also, world championships are teams, not individuals. And, others, Cecil Cooper....he was an excellent hitter, but to put him as a similar caliber player as Mattingly is goofy. Mattingly was one of the top 2-3 players of the 80's and the face of a team. Cooper was not. A great hitter, yes, but I don't think its a fair comparison.
    We're all looking at stats and that's great. But, if you look at the actual voting criteria, there's a lot more that goes into it. I am as big of a Mattingly fan as you'll find and I want him to be in. But, even he says that it would just be the icing on the cake. I hope someday they'll put him in, but it would be hard to come back from last year when he received less than 10% of the vote.

Mike
    Mike,

Thank you for the correction. I thought he did but the website I checked prior to posting didn't have him listed as winning a batting title.

Statwise Mattingly and Puckett are close but Puckett's other accomplishments and intangibles are what makes him a HOFer IMO. Mattingly doesn't have two rings. Mattingly never had a game like Puckett did in game 6 of the 91 Series. Mattingly might be considered one of the 15 best Yankees. Puckett is the face of the Twins franchise. And have you ever heard any ballplayer ever say anything bad about Puckett. The guy always had a smile and was friendly to everyone. (Don't know enough about Mattingly to comment here.)

I know intangibles and character shouldn't trump stats but in the end baseball is also about memories and Puckett created some very positive, strong, and lasting ones.

Bryan
    Wanted: Minnesota Twins throwback or special event jerseys.