Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

1911-16 Hillerich & Son bats

I have a 1911-16 Hillerich & Son 40 L. Louisville Slugger with no decal. It's 34.5 ins and about 40 oz. I know the L stands for Lajoie. What I don't know is whether a 40 L. bat can ever be considered a pro model. This bat pretty much matches Lajoie's bat stats and I believe it's too heavy for a store bat. Also, are the 40 D. and 40 B. bats of the same era Hugh Duffy and Pete Browning models. Thanks for your help. Ron

Re: 1911-16 Hillerich & Son bats

Does it have a hand turned knob? I used to own a Lajoie decal but it was from 1905 and made "Made By" not 40L.

I'm not certain how to tell a hand turned knob. It has a Hornsby knob. The center label is deep but nothing on the barrel. I find it interesting that the bat is 34 1/2 inches. I've read that Hillerich didn't make 1/2 inch store bats. Thanks for the help.

Hi Ron
    40L is a store model. Yes, half inch models exist. It will be hand turned regardless of if it is a store bat or pro model.

40d and B don't stand for browing and duffy. 40b was a burnished decal bat, while 40d was the red decal version of a burnished bat. Both 40d and B's are are retail bats.

Please keep in mind, inch marks dont start appearing on bats until the 1920's.
    Matt

Thanks for the info Matt. Should my 40 L. have a decal or did they make them without decals like my bat? Can you tell me the value of my 40 L? Thanks again. Ron