Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

why is practice material valued less than game used?

can someone explain why practice items are generally seen as lesser value to the items used in actual games?

Re: why is practice material valued less than game used?

Practice ?!?!?! We talking about PRACTICE?!?!?!? Not a game..... We talking about PRACTICE.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Have you ever heard that so and so is the all time practice home run leader or they are the all time touchdown passing practice leader and they deserve to be in the Hall of Fame because of their practice stats? In short practice doesn't count.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
    can someone explain why practice items are generally seen as lesser value to the items used in actual games?
    Practice is not competition. No stats are kept and you play against your own teammates most of the time out of the public view.

Going along with this topic, why do people think their "Home run batting pratice" balls are worth money? I see "home run BP game used" balls pop up and I never see them sell.

Sellers think they can make a few bucks off these things?

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Practice ?!?!?! We talking about PRACTICE?!?!?!? Not a game..... We talking about PRACTICE.

Thanks for your two cents A.I.

Quote Originally Posted by mbenga28 View Post
    Is your name Coach Larry Brown?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I think Legal put it well earlier that the stuff doesn't count towards actual stats, but I think there is still value.

There is something to the practice items as it does connect/belong to a certain player and that does hold some weight. Maybe not used socks etc, but a basketball practice jersey, or a batting practice baseball jersey are cool in my eyes. It affords collectors who can't buy a specific jersey because of price to still get an item associated with their favorite player.

A good example is the Staubach practice jersey GF just auctioned. Was it game used, no, but it was photomatched to practice/photo shoot and still sold upwards of $4G.

When it comes down to it from the financial aspect, 10, 20, 30 years from now a game used jersey is going to sell for more because it can be associated to actual stats, but a practice jersey will hold some value, especially if it's a major star or future HoFer.

What it comes down to as a lot of people say, collect what you like. And if you asked me would I like to own Albert Pujols' batting practice jersey or a GU card that has a swatch the size of my thumb nail, I'm going to take the practice jersey everytime.
    Cheers,
    Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
    My Memorabilia Collection

I think Legal put it well earlier that the stuff doesn't count towards actual stats, but I think there is still value.
    As far as hoops, you have warm-ups, shooting shirts, etc. that are worn during the game, but not 'during' the game. They still seem popular, even though no stats were earned while wearing them.

Not sure how it works these days, but for older hoops shoes, you'd have to assume they were worn both in games and in practice. And unless you can somehow photo match older shoes, there's no way to know if NBA Star wore them in game, practice or grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffjmp33 View Post

There is something to the practice items as it does connect/belong to a certain player and that does hold some weight. Maybe not used socks etc, but a basketball practice jersey, or a batting practice baseball jersey are cool in my eyes. It affords collectors who can't buy a specific jersey because of price to still get an item associated with their favorite player.

Some of the coolest thing I seen recently was a Jordan Farmar high school jersey lot. The problem was I couldn't locate a photo of the jersey from photos of Farmar from high school. I did however find a photo of the jersey worn by his teammate in the background at a press conference when Farmar switch high school and it was a style match. I concluded that it might be a practice jersey instead. I asked the seller if it was double sided jerseys which is common for practice jersey in high school and colleges and it was.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.