Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

View Poll Results: is the selling of the Tillman GU cleats right or wrong?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Right

6 23.08%
  • Wrong

6 23.08%
  • Could care less

5 19.23%
  • Not Right, but not wrong...its worth what someone will pay

9 34.62%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: right or wrong?

Re: right or wrong?

While I don't have a problem with selling the shoes, I do take issue with the guy's attempting to profit off of a tragedy. His tactics worked, though, as he got media attention for his auction.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

As a Disabled Vet, the fact he identifies Tillman as a War Hero in order to raise the value of the cleats disgusting.
    Really? Four words and an ampersand in the entire description is disgusting? If that's left out, I guarantee you that someone else is disgusted by its omission. I don't think those are really hot keywords for GU collectors.

I do take issue with the guy's attempting to profit off of a tragedy.
    He's not selling caskets. He's sat on these for almost 8 years. When will it be OK for me to list my Pistol Pete autograph ball?

I thought his listing pretty much covered the facts, in much less space than the avg. auction house tale. It was a fishing expedition as far as price, but that's pretty common on eBay.

You need an option to select - "Just plain STUPID!"

Do as you will with your stuff, but don't be a F*%^#@ C%^)@#%(R about it...

Ok, let's play a hypothetical here. Let's say that you had these cleats and you COULD reasonably get $3.2 million for them. Heck, let's say you could get 50k for them. Would you sell them then? I sure as hell would. People are going to say that you are profiting off of somebody's death regardless of when you sell them or for how much. Under the same guidelines, if you ever sold a deceased player's jersey for a price that was higher than if the player were alive, somebody could make the argument that you're profiting off of the player's death.

That being said, the guy isn't going to get anywhere near that number, but I wouldn't be surprised if somebody went five figures on it. It's his to sell. Judge all you want, but you would likely do the same thing if you could.

I have no issue with it like many others have said he will never get that price. He was a great guy and gave up the game of football to go to the Army that is big. I think he should at least give part of the money he gets to the veterans or another organisation.

Aside from over-valuing the item, the seller is doing nothing wrong. As others have said, we see dead players' stuff being bought and sold every day of the year. As I recall, Christy Mathewson was another individual whose sacrifice in going to war ultimately cost him his life; do we really need to wait 70 or 80 years till it's okay for anyone to sell any Tillman items?

Yes, we all look with disdain on the vultures who've got stuff up on eBay, with inflated prices, before a player is cold. Cory Lidle and Mike Coolbaugh come to mind. The seller in this instance has owned the cleats for over ten years, and Tillman died eight years ago. The seller has set a silly reserve, but that's his prerogative; to me, it says, if anything, how much he values this item.

If he'd put them on eBay with a begnning bid of $99 and no Reserve, the story - including here, I suspect - would be about what a complete moron he was.

I too am a disabled vet. I have no issue with selling them. The asking price means he knows nothing about the hobby. I would donate to the Tillman foundation however if it sold.

The inclusion of describing tillman as a war hero in the listing is appropriate in my opinion. Any description of a Ted Williams GU item would be incomplete w/o mentioning his contributions in the military. This is no different. The seller listed a rediculous BIN price to capture attention- which is exactly what happened.

Absolutely nothing wrong with selling the cleats.

His price though, is just insanity.