Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Signed Derek Jeter Game Used Home Run Baseball

I agree that the inscription on the baseball seems to be misleading. Some may assume that the ball is the actual ball that was hit by Jeter for a home run that game. Inscriptions like this can cause problems. What will this ball sell for twenty years from now when all of the paperwork is lost?

Joel -

I am responding to your eMail, but wanted to publicly apologize myself and thank you for both your eMail and response here.

This exchange both the former and the later part of it are part of what makes this hobby great.

While I took exception to the way you phrased your question to me, you are a big enough man to see why and go out of your way both here and in a personal eMail to mend fences.

All the best -

Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by NeonStatus View Post
    I agree that the inscription on the baseball seems to be misleading. Some may assume that the ball is the actual ball that was hit by Jeter for a home run that game. Inscriptions like this can cause problems. What will this ball sell for twenty years from now when all of the paperwork is lost?
    Hopefully, the going rate for a baseball that was used on a game that was memorable for a Jeter fan and nothing more. My prediction is more than one of these baseballs will be listed on Ebay within months of Jeter getting into the HOF.

That is the danger.

Hopefully, twenty years from now knowledge of game used memorabilia will be more readily available and the dissemination of information among collectors has grown enough that collectors know what they are buying.

When it is your item, you can do with it whatever you want. If you want to tell someone that its THE HR baseball that's your business.

But once you are selling it, come clean and tell me what it is. Spell it out. When I am on Ebay, I assume whatever it literally says. It if alludes to it being something, that is not good enough and warrants a clarification question to the seller if I am really interested in it. Most of the time, the seller will come clean. On that rare occasion that the seller does not reply to a clarification question, I assume it is not what it appears to be and move on.

I cannot overemphasis the habit of reading about the surrounding items authenticated at the same time (same session) as the item you are interested in. There have been instances where I was researching a Teixeira bat authenticated on the day he hit for the cycle. If you looked at the surrounding items on the database, you would see four other Teixeira bats authenticated from that date. To assume that the bat was not used to hit the cycle would be a safer move than to assume that it was used for the cycle. Unless, of course, on the MLB database there is a special notation that mentioned that the bat was used for the cycle. None of the bats were specified as the THE cycle bat.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

FWIW, I read the listing as Joel did, that this was one of the three hr balls.

I think we, the blessed and well informed few who are deeply entrenched in the hobby, stand on guard against the fears Joel brings up. If Steiner isn't in business in 2020, what is to stop this ball from being passed off as an actual HR ball (by mistake or fraud) Even with all we know, two long term and well informed collectors were confused by it.

Is a listing with "I lost the certificate but I remember it saying it was a HR ball and Jeter signed that it is a HR from the game. So of course it's real, right?" really outside the realm of likelihood? Don't we have enough drama without Steiner collecting every baseball and making them out to be something important without subjective conjecture?

Lastly, not to become the sentimental one here but the fact Joel and Smitty got heated and then both apologized, that is the kind of class and maturity I have come to expect here. While I miss many of the old guard and the fact the C to C has become barren, certain people suffering from immaturity and "tough guy syndrome " are not missed. I think the fact so many recent threads have shown this kind of respect should be mentioned.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    Lastly, not to become the sentimental one here but the fact Joel and Smitty got heated and then both apologized, that is the kind of class and maturity I have come to expect here. While I miss many of the old guard and the fact the C to C has become barren, certain people suffering from immaturity and "tough guy syndrome " are not missed. I think the fact so many recent threads have shown this kind of respect should be mentioned.
    +1+1+1
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~