Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Signed Derek Jeter Game Used Home Run Baseball

Anyone find the auction description misleading? Wonder if someone will buy it thinking it was actually hit by Jeter for a home run which is not the case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...E:B:SS:US:1123
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Re: Signed Derek Jeter Game Used Home Run Baseball

Joel -

What am I missing?

MLB Cert Validates GU Ball - 9/16/2007 and Jeter Signing

Box Score verifies Jeter hit 3 run HR off Schilling in the 8th.

Can't check Steiner cert since they don't have a database.

Just wondering what you're seeing that I am not...

- Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Joel -

What am I missing?

MLB Cert Validates GU Ball - 9/16/2007 and Jeter Signing

Box Score verifies Jeter hit 3 run HR off Schilling in the 8th.

Can't check Steiner cert since they don't have a database.

Just wondering what you're seeing that I am not...

- Smitty

This is what the description says:

Up for auction is an amazing
    Signed Derek Jeter Game Used Home Run Baseball
    Inscribed "3 Run HR vs Schilling " from 9/17/07
    After purchasing the ball I had The New York Newsday make me a photo quality printof the next mornings cover. I had it matted and proffessionally framed to compliment this amazing ball
    The ball has an obvious welt on one side and scuffs from hitting whatever it hit on its way back down to earth.
    It comes with a COA from Steiner Sports #15767 and is certified by Major League Baseball #685031BB
    I cant find the little card that came with the ball but the serial numbers and various holograms will validate its authenticity. This item is authentic and unaltered.

I searched the MLB Database for BB685031.
    I don't notice any specific notation as a HR baseball by Jeter
    I then search surrounding baseballs and discovered 18 gathered baseball
    BB685026-BB685043 with the same non-descript.

Session Product Description: GAME USED BALL
    Session Name: NEW YORK YANKEES @ BOSTON RED SOX
    Session Date: September 16, 2007
    Autographer:

Later all 18 baseballs were signed by Derek Jeter a week later
    Session Name: DEREK JETER SIGNING - STEINER SPORTS
    Session Date: September 23, 2007
    Autographer: DEREK JETER
    Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.

The only conclusion I can get from this is that these baseballs are celebrating the event and more than likely have the same inscription. They are more than likely baseball used on that day when Jeter hit the memorable home run and not the actual home run ball.

Was hoping you would have come to the same conclusion.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Joel -

I'm not defending the seller or throwing you under the bus, but without knowing for sure if the other balls have the same inscription, it is an unknown.

I can see where you take issue with his stating 'GU HR Baseball'. I did not search the MLB cert numbers on either side of it.

However, MLB isn't always on top with their descriptions, but all I can say is it is speculation on both sides - yours and the sellers - whether this is or is not THE HR Ball.

I guess we would need to see proof that the other balls have the same inscription on them, but I do see where you are coming from.

All the best -

Smitty

This is not THE home run ball. I bought about half a dozen of them after they were signed for Steiner and remember them well because even though I very carefully worded the descriptions to show they ARE NOT the actual HR ball, I still remember a very nasty phone call from someone accusing me of trying to sell them as the HR ball. Sometimes you can't win!

Here's a photo of one that I had in my files. They are great balls as it was a huge HR at the time - just too bad that 2007 turned out differently than it was looking around this time in September of '07!

Joel -

I'm not defending the seller or throwing you under the bus, but without knowing for sure if the other balls have the same inscription, it is an unknown.

I can see where you take issue with his stating 'GU HR Baseball'. I did not search the MLB cert numbers on either side of it.

However, MLB isn't always on top with their descriptions, but all I can say is it is speculation on both sides - yours and the sellers - whether this is or is not THE HR Ball.

I guess we would need to see proof that the other balls have the same inscription on them, but I do see where you are coming from.

All the best -

Smitty

I would bet money that it's not the actual hr ball based on my research.

The description made by the seller never says it's the actual ball but never goes out of his way to say it is the actual baseball hit by Jeter. That is why I asked if anyone thinks this is misleading.

shafrancollectibles.com shows there is nothing extra special, ie. being hit by Jeter, about these baseballs besides being used in that particular game. Steiner COAs for game used baseballs usually give the identical information that is already provided from the MLB database.

I do not see anything wrongs with Steiner trying to sell baseballs with these special inscriptions as long as they state what the baseball really is.

Where we have the problem is when the buyer from Steiner trys to resell the item as something it really isn't (ie. the actual hr baseball) at a later date.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by shafrancollectibles.com View Post
    Here's a photo of one that I had in my files. They are great balls as it was a huge HR at the time - just too bad that 2007 turned out differently than it was looking around this time in September of '07!

Thanks for verifying what I thought.

A photo of a baseball with the same inscription as the other baseball on ebay that has a different MLB hologram number (the two baseballs are also nonconsecutive hologram numbers). Is that enough proof Smitty or do you need to see the other 16 baseballs?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com

Joe -

I'm not the one who brought up the ball - I was simply playing devil's advocate and asked what I was missing - not sure why you have had to make this come across as a personal attack on me:

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi
    Was hoping you would have come to the same conclusion.
    I explained why I didn't come to the same conclusion. I didn't go research all the other balls.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Is that enough proof Smitty or do you need to see the other 16 baseballs?
    I can read what Steiner's rep put up which satisfied my question about whether other balls had the same inscription - but apparently you just need to be a jack ass about it.

I didn't realize that some of the Mods here are a big a jerks as some of the forum members.

Good day.

Joe -

I'm not the one who brought up the ball - I was simply playing devil's advocate and asked what I was missing - not sure why you have had to make this come across as a personal attack on me:

I explained why I didn't come to the same conclusion. I didn't go research all the other balls.

I can read what Steiner's rep put up which satisfied my question about whether other balls had the same inscription - but apparently you just need to be a jack ass about it.

I didn't realize that some of the Mods here are a big a jerks as some of the forum members.

Good day.
    Smitty,

Sorry you took it personally. Not my intention. We have enchanged stories by email in the past and thought us to be cordial.

All I was asking is how many baseballs do you need to see since you said that "I guess we would need to see proof that the other balls have the same inscription on them, but I do see where you are coming from." I now know from you last response that you are satisfied and do not need to speculate any further.

Again accept my apologies.

Regards,

Joel
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com