Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thread: Am I Crazy???

Hybrid View

Banned

Thumbs up No You Are Not

Eric,

It's called shill bidding, and you should let us know what piece of garbage auction house is doing this.

Banned

Re: Am I Crazy???

No Eric You Are Not Crazy!!

Eric,

Happened to me also on an auction ending tonight. I'm still the high bidder at my maximum bid. I was also doing it as a sort of experiment. We'll see........

Marcus Sevier

Marcus
    Can you post details like I did above?
    Anyone else out there have the same thing happen to them?

Initial bid of $666 at 11:38 12/8, with a maximum of $1020.

Bid challenged, raising my bid to $806 at 20:52.

Challenged again, raising my bid to $1100 at 20:58.

No further bids since maxing out my bid. Still winning as of this post.

This has been the rule, not the exception with at least two of the auction houses I deal with. I honestly cannot count the number of times this has happened over the years. At first, I felt like "cool, I barely won", but that got old after the tenth time of winning at the maximum bid. I can fairly say that with the two auction houses, I win items AT my maximum bid at least 90% of the time. Coincidence? I don't think so any more. Solutions? I don't know. It's very difficult to boycot certain places when they are selling one of the items you have been looking for for years.

I wish these people would either put a reserve on an item or just suck it up and take the loss instead of ***king us like this.

Marcus Sevier

Banned

As Mr. T said to me the only time I met him when he used to live in my old hometown of Lake Forest, IL - "Weird, wild happening stuff"

Eric - you are not crazy. This stuff has been going on for years. Maybe what we need is our own auction on this site???

This stuff can drive you crazy and it certainly makes you wonder what might be going on what that 'man behind the curtain' but don't overlook the fact that we are generally a fairly educated bunch when it comes to pricing and value, as are others who bid in these auctions.

Eric, if you told me that the general market value/price of item A was $500, then i'd be very suspicious. If the general market value is much closer to your top bid, with vig, then i'm much more willing to accept that its just a case of a couple of people with simialr interests, and similar knowledge of value, going after the same thing - and you just got in there first.

i tend to bid low early on all items i'm interested in and then come back the day of the auction and put my 'i'll buy it for that bid'. I also collect certain players, so in the scenario you outlined, i could see where i'd put bids on items in quick succession and it bump to my limited. If you had already done the same thing and gotten there first, and we both had similar views on value, then i'd get shut out and you'd be left wondering why you got bid up.

I will say, i much prefer auctions where i can enter a straight amount versus having an amount picked for me.