Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

What causes deadwood on bats?

Anybody know? Is it just age, where it's been stored, water?
    Thanks.

Re: What causes deadwood on bats?

Deadwood is caused by the repeated contact of a baseball on the hitting surface of the bat. This causes grain separation and the raising of the wood. The wood become slightly brittle and has a soft sound when you hit it with your knuckles as compared to hitting a section of the bat which has no deadwood.

I like to see deadwood on bats which is usually a good indication of use.

David

I agree.Deadwood on bats shows there was tremendous use.Some see it as ugly.I would rather have a bat with deadwood than a bat that shows little use!
    jon

Quote Originally Posted by jon_8_us View Post
    I agree.Deadwood on bats shows there was tremendous use.Some see it as ugly.I would rather have a bat with deadwood than a bat that shows little use!
    jon
    Wow , that makes me feel a lot better about some of the bats I have . I have quite a few where this has happened . I figured they were less desireable to collectors . I have seen bats discounted in price due to deadwood , that's why I thought they were less valuable and DID have a negative feeling towards deadwood .

Banned

That was what I thought too. Now I won't be apprehensive to go after bats with deadwood. Thanks guys.

I think the term deadwood just gives off a bad vibe. Isn't any wood in a bat dead. Not like the wood is still living, in the other parts of the bat. Here is how PSA has defined it in there bat terms glossary......
    Checking (deadwood) - Raising or separation of the wood grain of a bat, frequently caused by repeated contact with a baseball on the hitting surface.

I like the term checking better that they used. I don't believe deadwood really effects the bat grade. In some case like other's have said here, it actually is a good sign in that it shows the bat has had great used.....