Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Seller backs out--what would you do?

Here's my 2 cents.

If you can afford to pay $20,000 for a jersey, you can afford $100.00 for a passport, $400.00 for a flight, and $300.00 for transportation and misc costs to meet the person.

If I ever buy or sell something that large, it's always in person. If I sell anything over $2,000 it's always within driving distance because if I get ripped off, i'll be at the person's doorstep when they least expect me.

You could also pay about $200 in fees and put that $20,000 in an escrow account.

Quote Originally Posted by kprst6 View Post
    Here's my 2 cents.

If you can afford to pay $20,000 for a jersey, you can afford $100.00 for a passport, $400.00 for a flight, and $300.00 for transportation and misc costs to meet the person.

If I ever buy or sell something that large, it's always in person. If I sell anything over $2,000 it's always within driving distance because if I get ripped off, i'll be at the person's doorstep when they least expect me.
    Exactly what I was going to post.

If it is indeed a photo-match, which it definitely could be, compared to the Getty image, it seems to me that the value would increase substantially and whoever bought at 20k might have struck gold.

I've tried, with no luck, to find a photo-matched 70's Greene jersey that has recently gone to auction. Does anyone have any information to such?

Mike

I know, it's painful! I never would have sold it though so for me it was just about obtaining the item rather than ever trying for financial gain on it. The only small consolation is knowing that if I would have agreed to the additional money I could well have been asked for more money on top of that, then more on top of that, etc. Once someone backs out of one deal they can surely back out of another. It may simply have been out of my reach from the get-go with another buyer out there with deeper pockets. Only reason I could even go after it was because of a deal that Chris Cavalier at GUU helped me with a few years back and for that I'm grateful!

As for other Greenes, I've only seen one but if I recall correctly it was highly questionable, a "cold weather" jersey that nobody could style match.

Quote Originally Posted by genius View Post
    As for other Greenes, I've only seen one but if I recall correctly it was highly questionable, a "cold weather" jersey that nobody could style match.
    If the rip on the right shoulder striping was repaired, then we can do the math. We may never know since the original owner of this jersey has been banned.

Quote Originally Posted by both-teams-played-hard View Post
    If the rip on the right shoulder striping was repaired, then we can do the math. We may never know since the original owner of this jersey has been banned.
    I took a closer look at the Getty image on their website and it appears, to me, that it's a problem with the photo negative itself, not a tear in the jersey. It looks like the "tear" carries over from the sleeve to the black part of the jersey under his arm along his side.

If it truly were a scam, it seems like the seller would've just taken the $20K offer (esp after genius made a big deal about not paying extra) rather than completely backing out and ending up with no $.

Even if the seller found someone else to scam, it seems like he would be perfectly content to scam TWO people into paying.

Quote Originally Posted by treant985 View Post
    If it truly were a scam, it seems like the seller would've just taken the $20K offer (esp after genius made a big deal about not paying extra) rather than completely backing out and ending up with no $.

Even if the seller found someone else to scam, it seems like he would be perfectly content to scam TWO people into paying.
    Good point Treant. As a heads up to anybody who is not familiar with these kinds of scams, they will often go to whatever means they can to get you to go along with it. These scammers will play hardball and threaten to report you to ebay, get you banned from the forum, or even threaten lawsuits to get you to go along and send payment.

I think Genius did the right things by asking for opinions on here. We all have to trust our gut on things, but we should take advantage of the great tool this forum offers in providing feedback and other opinions.

In this case, if it wasn't a scam...maybe the seller was working as a middle man and still didn't own the jersey. As the very least, there is hope that the jersey is out there somewhere. Hopefully we read about Genius picking it up a couple years down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by jppopma View Post
    Hopefully we read about Genius picking it up a couple years down the line.
    Thank you for that, I appreciate it! I hope so too, in the meantime I have this recent pickup to "enjoy", talk about adding insult to injury! As James Belushi said though, "don't EVER lose your sense of humor!!!"
    Attached Images Attached Images