Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: The vintage Orange of the Buccaneers + TACKLE TWILL vs. screened on

Please pardon my skepticism but know that it comes from experience.
    I believe that what you have in the PERRY jersey is simply a customized retail authentic.

I have owned many of these Sand-Knit jerseys with the "Tailored Esclusively...." tagging and the skinny shoulder numbers and they were all retail authentics. These were made in the late 70's before teams were allowed to put players' names on the back, hence the lack of a nameplate.
    Also, even in their earliest incarnations with Sand-Knit and Wilson the Bucs' gamers were always double-thickness at the shoulders. Retail jerseys were always single-thickness like this one.
    I also notice that the "vinyl" material used for the numbers is different than that used for the lettering of the name. This would tend to indicate the subsequent customization as being from a separate entity than the original manufacturer.
    I live in Tampa and it's not unusual to see several examples of these old retail jerseys that have been customized at any Bucs game. They're not incredibly common but I've seen enough of them to know one when I see it.
    Regardless, it's an interesting old piece and worthy of admiration.

As an addendum to my previous post, I will say that nobody would love for me to be proven wrong more than me.
    If you have any information as to the provenance of the jersey that would contradict my opinion, please share it.
    In my last post I also neglected to mention the extra sleeve length below the stripes. A characteristic found on the aforementioned retail jerseys.
    As I said before, the old Sand-Knit retail Bucs jerseys can still be foun
    d down here walking around at the games and occasionally hanging on a rack in thrift stores and they generally look just like this one.

I appreciate the insight, as I am not a collector of Bucs jerseys. I know that memorabilia from the inaugural year is pretty tough to come by, and anything I know about this is from the opinions of other collectors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Can anyone tell me what the Bucs wore on field during the '85 & '86 seasons? I an interested in Steve Young specifically. I can't find an example of an '85 gamer anywhere.

Thanks

Not positive, but believe it was Wilson in 85 and 86. Then in 1987 or 1988 they went to Russell