Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who Gets Yankees Uniform Number #20 Now ?

or will they just not issue it?

Curious to know if the Yankees reissued Jackson's #44 in the following spring training in 1982? They reissued Angels #44 in 1987, at least in Spring Training (to a rookie).

Re: Who Gets Yankees Uniform Number #20 Now ?

There's about as much chance of #20 being reissued as there is #46 or #6 being used again.

I don't know about the following spring training after Reggie left, but 44 was not only issued after that, it was worn up until I believe the year before Reggie went into the Hall of Fame. Though I think only coaches wore it. I know for sure that Jeff Torborg wore 44 for several years in the 80s.

20 won't be issued again. Considering the reaction to the Yankees issuing 21 to Latroy Hawkins a few years back, and that was only over O'Neill, there's no chance of 20 being issued and it will certainly be retired at some point, along with 2, 6, 42, 46 and 51.

I wouldnt be surprised to see the number issued this year....its 2012 and traditions in sports are non existant.... i give the yankees credit for the longevity of their uniforms,but tearing down Yankee Stadium was a crime...

Yankees need to find anothe way to honor their players other than retiring numbers. Considering after Jeter retires, you will not be able to be a yankee and wear a single digit number ever again. Also, considering the rate of the numbers retired by NYY in the 1900's, a fifth or more of the numbers 1-99 will be unusable.

Get ready for a yankee lineup in 100 years with guys wearing numbers in the 70's,80's and 90's commonplace. At that point, they won't issue numbers to spring training guys.

Quote Originally Posted by jake33 View Post
    Yankees need to find anothe way to honor their players other than retiring numbers. Considering after Jeter retires, you will not be able to be a yankee and wear a single digit number ever again. Also, considering the rate of the numbers retired by NYY in the 1900's, a fifth or more of the numbers 1-99 will be unusable.

Get ready for a yankee lineup in 100 years with guys wearing numbers in the 70's,80's and 90's commonplace. At that point, they won't issue numbers to spring training guys.
    Or they'll just begin issuing half numbers...
    R.J. Hinners

Always looking for Don Mattingly and other Yankees' game-used items and quality memorabilia.

Flaco, I agree with you about Yankee Stadium. I'm a Yankee fan, but I have to respect Boston for keeping Fenway. If Boston can run a top franchise in that small park there was no excuse for Yankee Stadium being torn down. I made a point in going to the last regular season game at the old Yankee Stadium. Unfortunately you and I seem to be among the small number of people who wanted to keep the old stadium with all its history.

Quote Originally Posted by jake33 View Post
    Considering after Jeter retires, you will not be able to be a yankee and wear a single digit number ever again.
    Did they retire Steve Sax and I missed it?

One of my friends was a high ranking official for the yankees, 1996 being the last after he recieved his world series ring.....when george saw the new parks in cleveland and baltimore it was all over for yankee stadium, was just a matter of time...The last game i saw at the stadium was the clinching in 96....the last game i saw at shea was the yankees clinching in 2000....havent had any reason to visit the new ballparks....

Steve Sax should have his number retired in NY, along with Clu Haywood.

Also, there could be a push for Joe Torre's number retiring if he gets to HOF, I personally don't think the yankees will do it though, but could see some torre sympathists make noise about it.