Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Special tagging on jersey

Does anyone have any experience with this tagging? It's from a 2000 Texas Rangers #42 jersey. That numbers was retired in 1997, just didnt know if they used it for a special occasion.

Banned

Question Re: Special tagging on jersey

Looks like tagging for a team extra jersey. Can you show front and back pics? Maybe those will help narrow down what it might have been used for.

Dave Miedema

Re: Special tagging on jersey

Will post pics when I get home. It doesn't have a nameplate or anything, just a general 2000 jersey with the number 42. I wasn't sure why they would make that up when the jersey was retired unless it was used for some event.

The 42 looks more like a size tag than referring to the number. Maybe they had an extra tag that had the players normal numbers and had X ones for extras, batboys, etc. Just a guess.

The jersey is number 42. I just have no idea why they would have that jersey made up after the number retired.

It was probably an extra shirt for Jackie Robinson day... Dont know if ALL teams wear that number on the special day...

Jackie Robinson tribute jersey? I know MLB has done this the last few years (but don't know about 2000).

When MLB retired Jackie Robinson's #42 in 1997 for every eam in baseball, they allowed players already wearing #42 to continue to wear it, i.e. Mo Vaughn, Mariano Rivera, ext. In addition, any player that wanted to wear #42 on Jackie Robinson day only was allowed to. It was an option and not every player had to participate as they do today. So I'm guessing it could either be from a player who wore #42 whom was "grandfathered in" or a player that chose to wear #42 on JR Day. I hope this helps.

Banned

Cool Re: Special tagging on jersey

The Jackie Robinson uniform number tribute MLB-wide didn't begin until 2007. The only player I can recall wearing JR's number before that was Seattle's Ken Griffey Jr. for one game in the mid-1990s (shown on a baseball card...I'll try to find a photo). I'm not sure just what event this was done for.

Dave Miedema

Cool Re: Special tagging on jersey

Could be a sizing jersey?

I recall a few years ago when I was in Baltimore, they were actually selling a couple sizing jerseys that were white blanks with size numbers on them. At least that's what I recall, someone stating that they were those.

Here's the Griffey Dave was talking about

Courtesy of CheckOutMyCards.com
    Always looking for Seattle Mariners & anything of Felix Hernandez, Jay Buhner, Richie Sexson and Arthur Rhodes.

-Jeremy Morgan