Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danny899
    • Apr 2007

Ebay Bidding Is Becoming Non Existent

Doesn't it seem to others here than more and more Ebay auctions are only being run with, Buy it Now or with high starting bids? Very few auctions are run with low starting bids anymore which offers competition or the potential for a high dollar sale. As a result, most of these seller's items whith the Buy it now or the $500 starting bid don't even get touched or even looked at. I still list the majority of my items as a seller with a $1 starting bid and the results are usually quite gratifying.
  • slab0meat
    • May 2010

Re: Ebay Bidding Is Becoming Non Existent

Potential for a high dollar sale, as all as a very low dollar sale..

Comment

• zookerman182
      • Jul 2007

the game used hobby is driven by the dollar now more than ever.

but when that item does show up without a high BIN price, the bidding wars seem to really jack up the price.
      Collecting current Brewers players and Prospects

brewergamer28@yahoo.com

sigpic

Comment

• Mattapan03
        • Mar 2010

People just don't want to risk taking a huge loss.

Comment

• David
          • Sep 2024

I think there are fewer bidders on eBay. It often makes more sense to list it for sale on eBay than as an auction, because there often won't be the bids to justify the auction.

With BIN items, people regularly make reasonable offers and I regularly accept them. That 'bidding' system is fine by me.

Comment

• David
            • Sep 2024

Also, in recent times bidders used snipe bids etc to try and sneak away at the last tenth of a second with the lowest price humanly possible. Of course, BIN sellers don't that. I think snipers dug their own grave in that respect.

Comment

• metsmetsmets
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by David
              Also, in recent times bidders used snipe bids etc to try and sneak away at the last tenth of a second with the lowest price humanly possible. Of course, BIN sellers don't that. I think snipers dug their own grave in that respect.
              Huh?

Comment

• project 4
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Mattapan03
                +1.

Comment

• cohibasmoker
                  Banned
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Mattapan03
                  That's very true. Also, with a Buy It Now option, the item has to be paid for right away - to some degree, it reduces the amount of non-paying members.

Jim

Comment

• 1929tudor
                    • Oct 2010

I used to like buying on Ebay because the prices were half of what you could find at a show but now the Ebay guys are asking about the same. I have seen some guys with the same stuff listed for 2 years with the same price. Get real if it doesn't sell in 6 months at the most start dropping the price. Whats the point of the same price for years. Take a hint your stuff isn't as valuable as you think.

Comment

• gadsden86
                      • Oct 2011

I would think after they have it up their 2 or 3 times or more w/o a bid then they should lower the asking price. JMO but would seem that people dont want it for a 200+ start try 100 or 150.

Comment

• Danny899
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by zookerman182
                        the game used hobby is driven by the dollar now more than ever.

but when that item does show up without a high BIN price, the bidding wars seem to really jack up the price.

Exactly. I don't even bother looking at the ones where there is only buy it now or high starting bids. (Example: I don't think anyone is going to pay $400 for only 1 cleat of Rickey Henderson! Where's the other one?) Most sellers just don't realize this when their item(s) are not even getting looks. The pieces I've listed have always resulted in bidding wars, some not as high as others, but always with a favorable result.

Comment

• jdhbraves
                          • Jul 2008

I believe that if the majority of game used equipment on ebay were sold as a true auction, most sellers would be sadly disappointed with the results. The true value of a item isnt what it sells for when it is sold on mlb auctions. Its what happens when the item makes it to collector hands and joe public tries to sell it. It may take 2k to buy a star braves jersey from mlb. Put that same jersey on ebay and you would be lucky to get a grand. Most of this modern stuff depreciates in value. Rare is rare and unique brings a premium but wait until the player retires and leaves the spotlight and you can buy for much less than when the player was active. Back in 1991 dealers wanted 2500 for "jwm" jerseys of star players. A dealer in atlanta wanted 20k for a justice home 1991 world series jersey.Gant,justice,deion. 2500 bucks? Please!! I would bet you wouldnt get near that now despite the fact that a braves jwm is a scarce jersey to find anymore.The economics of collecting really needs its own discussion. What is a fair value for a piece of equipment? Whatever it is you likely wont discover the truth on ebay.

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by jdhbraves
                            I believe that if the majority of game used equipment on ebay were sold as a true auction, most sellers would be sadly disappointed with the results. The true value of a item isnt what it sells for when it is sold on mlb auctions. Its what happens when the item makes it to collector hands and joe public tries to sell it. It may take 2k to buy a star braves jersey from mlb. Put that same jersey on ebay and you would be lucky to get a grand. Most of this modern stuff depreciates in value. Rare is rare and unique brings a premium but wait until the player retires and leaves the spotlight and you can buy for much less than when the player was active. Back in 1991 dealers wanted 2500 for "jwm" jerseys of star players. A dealer in atlanta wanted 20k for a justice home 1991 world series jersey.Gant,justice,deion. 2500 bucks? Please!! I would bet you wouldnt get near that now despite the fact that a braves jwm is a scarce jersey to find anymore.The economics of collecting really needs its own discussion. What is a fair value for a piece of equipment? Whatever it is you likely wont discover the truth on ebay.
                            You can go back to the late 1980s and find that thew then-new Tomahawk knit style was going for $300 or more on COACHES, and at least $400 for even the most unknown players. Try getting that now! And, the ridiculous prices weren't a byproduct of MLB Auctions...it was just the mindset that permeated the thoughts of so many collectors then as now: They've gotta be the first on their block, or at their local card show, to own one of these.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• commando
                              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
                              You can go back to the late 1980s and find that thew then-new Tomahawk knit style was going for $300 or more on COACHES, and at least $400 for even the most unknown players. Try getting that now! And, the ridiculous prices weren't a byproduct of MLB Auctions...it was just the mindset that permeated the thoughts of so many collectors then as now: They've gotta be the first on their block, or at their local card show, to own one of these.

Dave Miedema

It REALLY boggles my mind to look at old hobby ads from the late 70s and early 80s, when flannels were selling for less than knits. It was the same mindset you're talking about in regards to those tomahawks.
                              sigpic
                              Anthony Nunez
                              Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
                              www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Comment

Working...