Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Andy Griffith Show Props

Do any of you own or know where I could purchase any actual screen used props from the Andy Griffith Show?

Re: Andy Griffith Show Props

That's a tall order. It was filmed across the street from my home.
    Never seen anything for sale.

Your chances of picking up anything with a decent COA or any kind of provenance at all are slim, at this late date. Maybe when one of the principal actors, like Griffith himself, dies, there'll be something in his estate sale. I picked up a few things from Chuck Connors', including some baseball photos from his files and his VHS copy of Soylent Green. Decent, identifiable screen-used props are going to cost you, though.

You are probably already aware of this, but for those who are not, you can go to eBay right now and find all kinds of "screen used props from The Andy Griffith Show"; what that means is that the tea kettle or soapdish or plate, or whatever it is they're hawking came in a bulk lot from some company that, at some point, provided props to hundreds of different t.v. and movie productions, including The Andy Griffith Show. They pick up an old, black rotary telephone, and say, "This could have come from Leave it to Beaver!' and then list it as a "screen-used prop from Leave it to Beaver.

I've picked up a few very cool t.v. and movie props with impeccable provenance from eBay, and there are a few companies (like Viper Fan Club) who sell on eBay and are legit, but 90% of the stuff you find in that category is complete bullshit.

I would check out the Prop Store of London...propstore.com. If they don't have anything currently in stock, they might be able to help track stuff down.

FWIW, (Present day) when a series or movie ends, all the little trinkets and set decorations are sold off, and even the wardrobe. Which is probably more over what a lot of the items are. To me it sounds more like you are looking for a HERO prop and not just a piece of set decoration.

Good Luck. Keep us posted.

I'm betting that as the actors and production folks (the ones who are still with us now) die off, a lot of the really choice items - Barney's badge comes to mind - will surface. Earlier this year or late last year, John Wayne's family finally auctioned off his personal collection of movie props and costumes. Some amazing stuff!