Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Help w/ late 60's NFL jersey tagging

Does anyone have any idea which of these Wilson tags is appropriate for a 1968 STL Cardinals football jersey?

They are both from jerseys that are attributed to the 1968 season but they are both so different looking it doesn't seem likely.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Help w/ late 60's NFL jersey tagging

I believe the first photo is a Russell tag, not a Wilson.

Dave Miedema

Re: Help w/ late 60's NFL jersey tagging

Thanks Dave. Does anyone know then if the Cardinals used Russell or Wilson jerseys during the 1968 season?

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    I believe the first photo is a Russell tag, not a Wilson.

Dave Miedema

Another example from AMI's archives...

Banned

Here's a MacArthur Lane from the 1960's.

Thanks. This is one of the jerseys I posted tagging from in my original post. The tagging doesn't match the other two late 60's Cards jerseys I posted so I am wondering about it. Also, the Cards had a player by the name of Bill Thornton who wore #36 in 1967 and I wonder if this could possibly be his jersey? Maybe Lane auto'd it w/o knowing if it was his jersey for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    Here's a MacArthur Lane from the 1960's.

You have an early 60's Cardinals jersey that most likely is from Frank Mestnick. Probably originated from Joel Platt the owner of the Sports Museum in Boca Raton, FL. Platt had a practice of writing the names and teams of the players on his jerseys. He actually did this on a beautiful 1960's Jim Brown jersey that was subsequently acquired by Bob Case and now is in the Lou Lampson collection. You have a nice jersey.

Thanks for the info but it's not my jersey. I was just asking a question because I was considering bidding on it in the recent Mears Auction. The jersey with the Wilson tag is attributed to MacArthur Lane from his rookie year of 1968. I guess it is possible that the team recycled an early 60's jersey for him to wear. The only thing the jersey had was Lane's name written in the manner you indicated and it was autographed by Lane too but I did not see any other provenance connecting the jersey to Lane provided in the auction listing.

Quote Originally Posted by grledonne View Post
    You have an early 60's Cardinals jersey that most likely is from Frank Mestnick. Probably originated from Joel Platt the owner of the Sports Museum in Boca Raton, FL. Platt had a practice of writing the names and teams of the players on his jerseys. He actually did this on a beautiful 1960's Jim Brown jersey that was subsequently acquired by Bob Case and now is in the Lou Lampson collection. You have a nice jersey.