Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Bryce Harper's 1st Home Run Ball!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flota89 View Post
    I find this thread to be a bit ridiculous. Harper is a great player. He's probably going to be good for years, and he's always been highly touted. And the best part ... he is 19.

So because he is so good and so young, he is a jerk and an immature little demon? Ok.

I guess I've never seen Prince Fielder, Matt Holliday, Yadier Molina or any other older star bang a bat on a bench or dugout wall.

The whole Harper thing is just a situation of thousands of people watching, almost hoping and waiting, for him to mess up. Makes no sense to me.

most of the time you see players throw temper tantrums they hit things that have some give like benches and water coolers. Not walls.

oh yes, while we are on the subject of the "greatness" of Bryce I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon,

Now selling my game used futures baseball from last year signed by Bryce. He has 1 HR in his career along with one possibly career threatening temper tantrum. Can only get better from here. First $10,000 takes it!!!

Thank you for proving why I usually stay out of these threads.

Bryce Harper is an idiot because of the material in which he chooses to take his anger out on.

That's all.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

Well, his first home run has been hit--dead center. Did anyone see a fan get the ball? I didn't see a fan jump the fence to grab the ball in the grass... Any stories, yet?

I was at the game. No one jumped the fence. Only in Washington. I think somewhere else, and they definitely try. No one even really stood up out there or made a move for it. A minute or so after it was hit, a security guard wearing a yellow coat walked down the stairs and stood by the railing. Looked like he was talking to someone on his radio. I grew bored watching and went back to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by marzomarz View Post
    I was at the game. No one jumped the fence. Only in Washington. I think somewhere else, and they definitely try. No one even really stood up out there or made a move for it. A minute or so after it was hit, a security guard wearing a yellow coat walked down the stairs and stood by the railing. Looked like he was talking to someone on his radio. I grew bored watching and went back to the game.
    valuable info.
    I wish I would have been in DC tonight to be the one to hop that fence...

I am kind of with Mike (OAKLAND A's Fan), even though I am not sure what the right answer is on this.

But regardless of beign Bryce Harper, I am loyal to my favorite team and don't really care about the rest of the league. So, if I caught a historic baseball from any team I would cash in. With basically one sale, I would cover the cost of a lifetime of game used collecting and losses within the industry.

But, if I caught Evan Longoria's 3000th hit when he is making $38,500,000 in the final year of a 9 year deal in 2025 for the Yankees hitting .243, I'd probably give him the ball back. And I don't even like Longoria, but will be appreciatve for his years in Tampa Bay.

Thumbs up Re: Bryce Harper's 1st Home Run Ball!!!!

I've noticed recently that people on GUU have been up in arms over the "entitled" attitudes of kids at baseball games. How players toss them balls, how players only sign for them, how they beg and receive balls, et cetera.

But nobody seems to rail against what I would call the entitled attitudes of home run ball catchers. While the home run baseball is the catcher's property, that doesn't mean he or she is owed a valuable game used item in exchange.

Yes, the ball catcher can sell it on the open market for some money, depending upon the provenance. But I would never be under the illusion, one that plagues certain ballhawks, that I have some special talent that needs to be handsomely compensated, just because I can catch a ball.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

Exclamation Re: Bryce Harper's 1st Home Run Ball!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    I've noticed recently that people on GUU have been up in arms over the "entitled" attitudes of kids at baseball games. How players toss them balls, how players only sign for them, how they beg and receive balls, et cetera.

But nobody seems to rail against what I would call the entitled attitudes of home run ball catchers. While the home run baseball is the catcher's property, that doesn't mean he or she is owed a valuable game used item in exchange.

Yes, the ball catcher can sell it on the open market for some money, depending upon the provenance. But I would never be under the illusion, one that plagues certain ballhawks, that I have some special talent that needs to be handsomely compensated, just because I can catch a ball.
    +1

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post

They are not owed an item in return, but they have every right to ask for a game used item back if the player wants the ball. It's bartering 101, They have somehting that a a monetary value in the sports memorabila market AND an emotional value (possibly to the player) and they have evry right to leverage that for a G/U item, just like the player has every right to say"no, too steep for me, keep it".....The fact that they caught it entitles them to barter if the player wants it...