Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
    Banned

Thumbs up Score Board, not game issued

Although I don't believe the seller is intentionally being misleading, he has this Rawlings 1989 Rangers Nolan Ryan jersey up on eBay as "game issued"
    The jersey, as most GUU readers will know, is a Score Board tagged retail jersey. The PSA letter is almost certainly for the autograph, not the jersey's game or team issued status or lack thereof.

Dave Miedema

Zoom

Banned

Re: Score Board, not game issued

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Although I don't believe the seller is intentionally being misleading, he has this Rawlings 1989 Rangers Nolan Ryan jersey up on eBay as "game issued"

The jersey, as most GUU readers will know, is a Score Board tagged retail jersey. The PSA letter is almost certainly for the autograph, not the jersey's game or team issued status or lack thereof.

Dave Miedema
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/140754752109

The seller clearly states: "I am not sure if it is used so I am selling it as game issued" so I assume they have no clue what they have or they are trying to pull a fast one.

I'm pretty sure no one who reads this forum is going to fall for this jersey. I hope you notified the seller of your concerns, maybe the wrong person will fall for their improper listing.

PSA/DNA at this time does not authenticate game used jerseys, except from NFL Auctions. The do not have a service where you can send them a jersey for inspection.

Re: Score Board, not game issued

I've addressed this issue with Ryan jerseys before and will do so again here...

As far as I have been told, Ryan only wore Goodman & Sons jerseys on the field starting sometime during his Angels tenure (which makes sense since they are located in LA).

I can tell you that the only time Nolan ever wore a jersey with Rawlings on it in a game as a Ranger was during Spring Training when the Rangers were still in FL.

If you search pictures of Ryan pitching during his Rangers days, you can tell the few pics of him with the Rawlings logo on his sleeve are from FL by the Palm Trees in the background. They never had Palm Trees at Arlington Stadium.

These jerseys keep coming up, just like the Russell tagged jerseys from QVC and the sellers all think they have a gold mine because they believe them to be game used due to the extra tail tagging that was not available on retail authentics.

In 1993 (Ryan's Final Season), he went one step further with Goodman and Sons and had his jerseys all serial numbered based on his estimated # of starts. I believe there are 34 total final season jerseys - 18 home and 16 road each numbered #x/18 or #x/16 respectively.

Sadly, due to injuries Ryan only pitched 13 games in 1993. 7 Home and 6 Road, so only 13 on his numbered 1993 jerseys were actually Game USED. It is possible that the other 11 Home and 10 Road were at least Game WORN on the bench, but I do not believe there is any breakdown of which numbered jerseys he actually worn to the mound unless he stayed in sequence and everything past #7/18 and #6/16 would then technically just be Game ISSUED.

- Smitty