Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PSA/DNA, New Photomatch Service?

Just saw this Vlad jersey on Grey Flannel and interesting enough it
    notes " This jersey is further accompanied by a LOA from PSA/DNA attesting to the photomatch."

A quick search shows no results but is PSA/DNA offering a new
    photomatch service?

Also while on the topic how does any company actually offer photomatching
    services? While bats and pinstriped jerseys are quite easy I'm looking
    for a service that uses scales and other measures to get a photomatch
    for road jerseys. I've heard Meigray does and their website does offer
    authentication but it seems to be only for hockey jerseys. I've seen
    MEARS LOAs but for modern jerseys they seem to limit their authentication
    to 'style match' unless its a high end item.
    Goh Nishiyama

Always buying Japanese Game Used Memorablia

gnishiyama@gmail.com

Re: PSA/DNA, New Photomatch Service?

When I saw this listing, my assumption is that it was a piece that originated with JT Sports and Taube included a LOA attesting to the photomatch.

I've seen him sell equipment, other than bats, on his website with photomatch LOAs included before. Someone on GUU owns a Pedroia photomatched ALCS jersey that I distinctly remember presented on JT's website w/ a photomatch LOA from PSA/DNA).

Also while on the topic how does any company actually offer photomatching
    services?
    What I meant to ask was does any company actually offer photomatching
    services?

Emann, I thought the same thing as well.
    Goh Nishiyama

Always buying Japanese Game Used Memorablia

gnishiyama@gmail.com

I don't know how it could be offered at a price collector's would find palatable. Think of the time involved.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I don't know how it could be offered at a price collector's would find palatable. Think of the time involved.
    Time? You mean like how much time they put into each signature they verify?

I'm sure they would charge you handsomely and if they can't find a photo match, still keep your fee just like when they can't verify your item is legit, but can't really call it fake either and they still keep your money for the time they spent trying to authenticate it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Time? You mean like how much time they put into each signature they verify?

I'm sure they would charge you handsomely and if they can't find a photo match, still keep your fee just like when they can't verify your item is legit, but can't really call it fake either and they still keep your money for the time they spent trying to authenticate it.
    I'm curious, do you know firsthand how much time they spend verifying each signature or are you just assuming?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I don't know, if you are just obtaining measurements and dimensions and things, it might not be that bad. As a property claims adjuster, I can get very detailed roof measurements on very complex roofs from satellite images from a company for $50. Maybe something comparable could be found to do the same with game images? I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    I'm curious, do you know firsthand how much time they spend verifying each signature or are you just assuming?
    Joel -

I did a very detailed breakdown on this issue about a year or so ago based on numbers taken DIRECTLY from PSA/DNA's site.

How many items they had AUTHENTICATED to that point divided by the number of years that they have been in existence from their 'about us' page and presuming they had 10 employees and them working 24 hours a day ended up allowing less than 1/2 an hour per item and that would include them receiving the item, researching it, photographing, writing the opinion, applying the invisible daub and sticker, and shipping out and NOT including items that they have REJECTED.

I have written and asked how many employees they have and have never received an answer, so I can only go with a projected number.

They currently claim 19,077,518 items CERTIFIED (I have to guess this means autos, grading, etc) as of 5/12/12 claiming they were founded in 1998. That is 14 years of business.

This is based on a one man crew to get a base number:
    19,077,518 items / 14 years = 1,362,679 items per Year / 365 = 3,733 items per Day / 24 = 155 items per hour / 60 = 2.6 items per minute.

Even if they have 100 employees working 24 hours a day (meaning all 100 are working every minute of everyday), that would boost it to 4 hours and 20 minutes per item. Again, that time would have to include the unpacking, photos, research, writing the letter, printing the letter, packing to ship out, etc.

If they had those same 100 employees ONLY working 8 hour shifts EVERY day, then that number (4hrs 20min) gets dropped to 1hr 26 minutes to get all of that stuff done.

I understand they do player signings and such, but even with those basically pre-certified items, it wouldn't dent these numbers that much. It's not like they are getting a couple of thousand 'in person' signed items each day.

So no, I don't know '1st hand', but the numbers are THEIR numbers, not mine.

If you presume they actually only work a normal 5 day, 8 hour a day shift with weekend shows thrown in, those numbers go down even further. That final number is based on them working around the clock every day, no breaks, no days off.

Either they are over estimating how many items they have 'Certified' or there is no way they are giving each item the time and care that it requires.

If those are the numbers for 'certifying' items, how much time do YOU think they would put into photo-matching?

- Smitty

Granted, these are only 'avg' numbers - but don't forget - they don't include the handling of and writing letters for items that are rejected each day.

OOPS... I used the number of ITEMS not amt of time when I did the math for 100 employees, so let's revisit this again and the numbers are even more staggering and mind numbing to even think about what they charge for their 'service'...

@ 1 employee working 24 hours a day, they do 2.6 items a minute, that's LESS than 20 seconds per item.

@ 100 employees, that means they are spending 2000 seconds (roughly 33.3 minutes) per item IF they are working 24 Hrs a day, so realistically for an 8 hr day, they are spending just over 10 minutes per item to do ALL of the steps.

Yep. That sounds like they really put a WHOLE lot of work into each 'certification'.

- Smitty

Does anyone have any idea what MEARS or a similar service charges to evaluate and photo-match a mid 90s NFL game worn jersey?

I am wondering what forum members think is fair to charge for the evaluation and photo-matching of game worn jerseys from the 1980s to present?

I know Dave Miedema offers a service to authenticate jerseys. He charged me 50$, if I remember correctly, to write an LOA for a mid 80s Bears Jim Harbaugh gamer I own. I sent him the jersey plus all of my research, which included images that I thought were photo-matches.

One would think that to provide a definitive photo-match, which can both authenticate and increase (sometimes substantially) the value of an item, that it would depend on the difficulty of the photo-match.

To provide a match of a jersey from the last 5 seasons, with the use of NFL rewind and high def DVD should cost less than matching up a jersey from 1981 thru the late 90s. The question is how much of a difference?

If any fellow members would like to chime in please do so!

Always buying 49er game worn jerseys, paying a finders fee and matching all offers on things I want.

Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com