Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

O.J. Simpson Game-Worn NFL Buffalo Bills Jersey: Photomatch Quest & Information Thread

Hi everyone.

I recently acquired an O.J. Simpson Game-Worn Buffalo Bills jersey and I am about to embark upon my quest to do the impossible - and attempt to photomatch it. My experience with Game-Worn collecting has been primarily in the area of modern NFL memorabilia, so I'm reaching out to the Game-Worn community in the hope that some of my fellow collectors may be more experienced in the area of Vintage 1970's NFL jerseys.

The jersey I bought was once sold on American Memorabilia for $5,008 on June 15th, 2006.

1973-74 O.J. Simpson Game-Worn Jersey

I have been doing the best job I can in my attempts to both style-match and photo-match the jersey. I believe that I have been successful in at least obtaining a style-match, but the task of photo-matching a Game-Worn jersey from the early/mid 1970's is likely to prove to be a much more difficult one.

The jersey came with authentication paperwork signed by Lou Lampson and Bob Case.

[Lampson concluded "This is one of the best Simpson gamers ever available."]

I have been told that Bob Case has vintage O.J. Simpson Game-Worn memorabilia in his personal collection, so it is my hope that he may have had at least some insight when looking over the jersey.

I will continue to add to this thread and update it with pictures of my jersey, other Simpson jerseys that have claimed to have been "Game-Worn" and photos I have found to help me with this project.

Any advice here on the boards is more than welcome.

I can be contacted here in the thread or at gameworncollector@yahoo.com if anyone has any questions, comments or information that can help me in this quest.

Thank you!

Re: O.J. Simpson Game-Worn NFL Buffalo Bills Jersey: Photomatch Quest & Information Thread

Pictures of my jersey:

Re: O.J. Simpson Game-Worn NFL Buffalo Bills Jersey: Photomatch Quest & Information Thread

Dating the jersey and finding a style-match:

The jersey was auctioned off through American Memorabilia and described in 100% Authentic's paperwork as coming from "1973-74".

In 1973, O.J. won the NFL's league MVP award and broke Jim Brown's single-season rushing record on his way to totaling an astronomical 2,003 yards in a 14-game season. His average of 143.1 rushing yards per game still stands as the best in NFL history.

There are pictures on the internet as well as game footage from 1973 to use as a source of comparson, and I'm not entirely certain that this jersey was worn during the 1973 season. The nameplate letters were wider in all of the images I've seen from the 1973 season. The sleeve length also appears to be a little bit longer in images I've seen from the 1973 season. That is not to say that my jersey couldn't have been worn in 1973, I just haven't been able to find any photos or film-images to help style-match the jersey to making it a possibility from that season.

1974 is an entirely different story.

Below are pictures of O.J. from the 1974 season, and I have compared those images to those of my jersey below:

Both the nameplate style and the length of the sleeves appear to at least be a style-match in the second game photo above. From what little game-footage I have been able to find from 1974, the nameplate also appears to match my jersey.

1974 Week-5 Bills @ Colts (2:27)

1974 Week-6 Bills @ Patriots (2:29)

Here's one resource you can possibly try in helping photomatch the jersey. NFL films sells "Team Highlight" tapes from past years. I think they are $50 each. I'm sure there will plenty of shots of OJ on the year in question.

http://www.nflfilms.com/specialorders/index.html

I'd also try Ihaveplanet.com. It's a sports video trading site. I took a look and two traders have video of the first and last away games of the 1973 season. If you don't have any sports videos to trade I found some guys were willing to trade for blank dvd's or sell as well.

http://www.ihaveplanet.com/Trading/T....aspx?Board=29

Good luck!

Here's what I saw on I have planet:

DateAway TeamHome TeamScoreDetailsHas
    All</SPAN>Wants
    All</SPAN> Sep 16, 1973 Buffalo New England 31-13 Details 2 I Have 1 </SPAN>I Want </SPAN> Oct 7, 1973 Philadelphia Buffalo 26-27 Details 2 I Have 1 </SPAN>I Want </SPAN> Dec 16, 1973 Buffalo NY Jets 34-14 Details 4 I Have 3 </SPAN>I Want </SPAN>

These are games people have on video.

Banned

Lightbulb Re: O.J. Simpson Game-Worn NFL Buffalo Bills Jersey: Photomatch Quest & Information Thread

By no means am I a top-level photo-matcher, but the color OJ photo (front) shows a differentpositioning of the sleeve numbers than the B&W photo (back), which looks to be spot-on.

Dave Miedema

Traders on Ihaveplanet.com also have video of 1974 away games on the following dates: 11/3 @ NE, 11/17 @ Miami, & 12/22 @ Pitt (playoff game)

I know Bob Case and from what know of him and from what I have seen with regards to his USC collection, it is second to none. I have seen his house and office and it is full to the top with USC game used memorabilia.

I have also purchased three very high end 49er game worn jerseys that either came directly from him or that were once part of his collection, and could not be happier.

He is well known in the sports world and a respected businessman. I highly doubt he would knowingly sell a non-authentic OJ shirt. In fact, if you browse through old Grey Flannel catalogs you will see a number of USC game worn items that he consigned.

If you have any other questions please feel free to email me at: garciajones@yahoo.com

Paul

Always buying 49ers gamers and ALL 1994 49er GU items!

Thank you to both Dewey2007 and Jags Fan Dan for your help and research!

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    By no means am I a top-level photo-matcher, but the color OJ photo (front) shows a differentpositioning of the sleeve numbers than the B&W photo (back), which looks to be spot-on.

Dave Miedema
    Thank you Dave.

The sleeve length and number positions on the sleeves do appear to match.

I found another image from the 12/22/74 game @ Pittsburgh (O.J.'s only career NFL playoff fame) and the sleeve-length, position of the sleeve numbers and nameplate all appear to possibly match.