Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Brett Butler road uni - 1983 Atlanta

Greetings,

I have the opportunity to pick up what I think is a 1983 Atlanta Braves Brett Butler road jersey. To my eye, the pictures I have been provided look pretty legit. The only concern I have is the sleeve patch (1733-1983). Georgia became a state in 1732, and sportslogos.net shows a patch that was supposedly worn during the 1982 season, also celebrating a 250 year anniversary.

So what do you guys think? I tried to remember the name of hte site that folks use for photo-matching, but couldn't.

Banned

Exclamation Re: Brett Butler road uni - 1983 Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by TNP777 View Post
    Greetings,

I have the opportunity to pick up what I think is a 1983 Atlanta Braves Brett Butler road jersey. To my eye, the pictures I have been provided look pretty legit. The only concern I have is the sleeve patch (1733-1983). Georgia became a state in 1732, and sportslogos.net shows a patch that was supposedly worn during the 1982 season, also celebrating a 250 year anniversary.

So what do you guys think? I tried to remember the name of hte site that folks use for photo-matching, but couldn't.
    The patch is a 1983 patch, not a 1982 issue. Check the home jersey being worn by Dale Murphy on the "tags visible" thread in this section.

Set numbers are unusual on Braves gamers of this era (the Murphy photo shows only a year tag.) That's not automatically a disqualifier, but it is unusual.

Your jersey seems to have decent and consistent wear from the photos, and the only portion that struck me as odd was the all-over-the-place stitching on the top of the Butler NOB plate (interior view).

Dave Miedema

Re: Brett Butler road uni - 1983 Atlanta

thanks for the reply, and the tip to check out the "tags visible" thread.

It was gettyimages that I was trying to think of. I found this Murphy picture there:

appears to me as if the NOB nameplate has been replaced

Banned

Question Re: Brett Butler road uni - 1983 Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    appears to me as if the NOB nameplate has been replaced
    Maybe that's why the iside stitching on the top of the plate looks so awkward.

Dave Miedema

So is it possible that this was someone else's uniform at some point? The last player to wear #22 before Butler was Bob Porter in 1981. He was 5'10, 180 - same height as Butler, but an extra 20 pounds. However, the 83 1 stamp suggests that this is definitely a 1983 jersey, not a reused one from a different year.

Just realized the 83 1 isn't a stamp, but sewn on. Could the old label have been removed and the 83 1 sewn on as a replacement?

Banned

Cool Re: Brett Butler road uni - 1983 Atlanta

Just realized the 83 1 isn't a stamp, but sewn on. Could the old label have been removed and the 83 1 sewn on as a replacement?
    It's very unlikely that the tags would have been changed....although I've seen teams occasionally remove name tags, I am familiar with only one instance in 35 years of game-used collecting in which a year/set tag was changed. My thoughts run more along the lines of the NOB plate being changed the following year in spring training for the subsequent wearer of 22 (Butler being dealt to the Indians) and the salvaging and replacement of the original NOB plate. It's speculation, but circumstances make it feasible.

Dave Miedema

Dave, thanks for your responses thus far. I tried to send you a PM, but was unable to. I'd like to ask you a couple of further questions.

Thanks!

Geordie

Banned

Dave, thanks for your responses thus far. I tried to send you a PM, but was unable to. I'd like to ask you a couple of further questions.

Thanks!

Geordie
    Email:

sox83cubs84@hotmail.com