Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Show off your Game Used Baseballs...With the Most Character!

After perusing past threads, I thought it would be cool to see people's game used baseballs - not just any ball used in a game, but one with a lot of character. Whether your baseball has a ton of dirt, grass stains, or some other unique feature, post it here. I look forward to seeing what members have.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Re: Show off your Game Used Baseballs...With the Most Character!

I know that I've shown this before, but here is a game used ball from 6/14/96 when Cal Ripken Jr. passed Sachio Kinugasa for the "World Record" of most consecutive games played at 2216.

I flew out to KC for the weekend to witness this, determined to get a game ball from this game (well before holograms, MLB authenticion, etc.). Anyways, in one of the early innings, catcher Chris Hoiles hit a foul ball into the stands off Mark Gubicza and I negotiated a deal with the college aged kid who caught it for $50 (mission accomplished!).

As luck would have it, I knew the person who had sponsored Kinugasa's trip to the USA and he asked me and my buddy if we wanted to share a ride back to the hotel after the game....I had Kinugasa (who lives in Japan) sign the ball in the van & subsequently added Cal a few years later...The neat thing was that when Cal signed it, being the perfectionist he is, once he noted that Kinugasa had signed in black ink, didn't want to sign it until he could locate a black ink pen......

I think it's s a safe bet to say that no other game used balls exist from this game that have been signed by both ballplayers...........

Does a baseball that hit a batter with the bases loaded give it character? at least it gives the hitter a painful rbi.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

neat ball (ouch!); what is the significance of the R & 24?

thanks

I am making a video of 5 game used baseballs that I have all authenticated, all with logos. Waiting to get a few of these autographed, but I have video of the pitch it was used in , not that naked eye can see that it is matched for use, but matches the infor for the authentication.

1) Evan longoria - HBP 2007 futures game - had him sign it in detroit in 2012. Thanks evan for flipping the ball and not signing under the logo from the 07 Futures game.

2) JP Howell - 2009 WBC pitch in the dirt to max ramirez

3) JP Howell - 2008 world series gmae 3, HBP eric bruntlett in 9th inning, that HBP ended up being the winning run.

4) Carlos Pena's gold ball from 2009 HRD

5) Matt Joyce's single in the 9th inning of the 2011 all star game

Great idea for a thread. Personally, I really enjoy seeing the ball and appreciating the story it tells (beyond just its statistical relevance). Here is a ball that was absolutely scolded for a postseason hit by an elite player. The first picture shows ink transfer from the bat in such a manner that even presents grain.

On another of the ball's panels, there are strong abrasions on the leather's surface, of which I've attached a cropped picture. The abrasions tell a story of the ball's high friction contact with earth.

To those of you who haven't caught the ball collecting bug yet.... do! Balls are a sensationally special thing to collect.

This one is an RBI double of another elite player. This particular ball I store upside down... I hope gravity will help me to preserve the dried on dirt/mud.

Game Used Baseball 2001 World Series - D-Backs vs Yankees - Game 6.
    Outstanding use and autographed by Randy Johnson who pitched in the game.
    Ball is authenticated by Ralph Nelson - who was the Vice President Umpiring.

Transfer of MLB logo from an untreated bat.

- CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

Quote Originally Posted by rdeversole View Post
    Transfer of MLB logo from an untreated bat.

If that's ever for sale, LMK. Who hit it and what did it result in?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408