Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Loss of Paperwork = Loss of Value

David,

I don't think that very many collectors are intentionally tossing or shredding their paperwork. Speaking for myself, I am not a paper collector, but if I have paperwork, I pass it along when I sell or trade an item. I would assume that most do the same. If there are obvious errors in the paperwork, I point this out to the buyer.

One of the main points I was trying to convey in an earlier post is this: If there is a legitimate game-used item that is valued at $1,000, there are some of us who are willing to pay $1,000 for the item regardless of whether there is paper work. The lack of paper work neither de-values the item nor makes us walk away if we feel comfortable with the item being what it supposed to be. I think that most of us are well aware that others do not have the same comfort level for various reasons, and regardless of what any of us think about paper work, there is no "right" or "wrong" in how anyone chooses to set their parameters and comfort level.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

I created a binder with sheet protectors that contains every letter of authenticity or accompaning paperwork that I own so that I avoid losing an individual sheet or sheets that would lower the value of most items.

Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post
    Regarding computer-only documentation such a database, it's good idea to print a copy of the database description. Then when you do your own research on the item and learn more about its history of use, such as going through the play-by-play or video record, you should add your own written notes to your printed copy of the database entry.

This can actually add provenance to the trail for the future, as well as protect yourself against any future database problem.
    if the database goes down permanently for any reason mlb would be forced to send out certificates to owners , after verification of the item in hand. mlb even says the printout are for display purposes only. if there is no online verification it would be a serious headache for collectors. a printout of the authentication would be for your own benefit but should mean nothing to another person when selling it. as a word of caution, the hologram number on the item should be verified online because everyone should know that a printout can be easily doctored using a photoshop type software.

and if you dont like how it display, why not just start from scratch and make it look or say how you want. here's the template.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Thanks for the useful observations from all of us. An MLB hologram's the only official authentication intended by MLB. But most of us enjoy finding out more about our items through more research, and many potential future owners might enjoy seeing this added info even if your notes are unofficial.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned at 63, but I still think paper's a valuable backup system that can't be erased or invaded by viruses or spyware.

Quote Originally Posted by coxfan View Post
    Thanks for the useful observations from all of us. An MLB hologram's the only official authentication intended by MLB. But most of us enjoy finding out more about our items through more research, and many potential future owners might enjoy seeing this added info even if your notes are unofficial.

Maybe I'm old-fashioned at 63, but I still think paper's a valuable backup system that can't be erased or invaded by viruses or spyware.
    i must be oldschool too because i enjoy finding out more about the items i own or want to own. the unofficial uncovered notes are sometimes the best. there have been some nice post on the forum of uncovered information about a item after further investigation which the current owner did not realize. to me that is what make the hobby fun.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    If a bat can speak for itself, would that mean if it included a letter from the player stating it came from his personal collection, you would throw that that paperwork away?
    What is meant by what I posted, is that YOU need to judge the item on its own merits. If the item is legit, it will speak to you by what is there and what isn't. Such as a number stamped on the knob for a retail bats, like a 3, 4 or 5. Is there a line under the 125 in the centerbrand? Does the bat have Flame Tempered instead of Powerized? Is there a model number stamped above the players name, starting in 1976. Prior to 1976 it was on the knob.

Don't let the piece of paper do the talking for the item!

I have over 430 game used bats, most all are without paperwork. I am fine with that. Because a legitimate game used bat, will speak for itself!!!
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...