Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Obit Sticky

Obit Sticky

Any chance the death watch fellas, could maybe just use one thread to post obits? About 20% of the front page of the General section is obits.
    Maybe a Show Us Your Dead Guys thread?

Re: Obit Sticky

While 20% of the postings in this particular forum doesn't seem excessive to me, I never thought of these listings as a nuisance, etc.

Subsequently, this "death watch fella" has made his last obit posting & will leave it up to Dave M. to see if he still wishes to post these as they cross the various news outlets.

Bill

It's not whether they're a nuisance or not, I just thought it would make more sense to have them all in one thread. Why make dozens of Lakers, Bears, Photo Matched, etc. threads when they can all go in a specific one?

Banned

Cool Re: Obit Sticky

I don't agree thatbthey're a nuisance (a contention otismalibu has made in past posts, especially less heralded names). Still, his idea is a good one and, in my next obit post, I will try to enact this practice.

BTW, Bill: Your obit posts are appreciated, as you've come across many before I did. Please continue them, although I think otismalibu's single thread idea may be a good one.

Dave Miedema

I personally enjoy them exactly the way they are...simply because they easily catch my attention. I do not (and probably will not) scroll through a single post to see if any new passings were reported if that is done. It will most likely become like the montly postings of new items obtained...it just quickly gets crazy long and confusing once people start quoting another post and new information is added. I simply can't tell where I stopped reading the previous time.
    "We need rebirth of the American tradition of leadership ... in private life as well." "'Trust me' government asks that we concentrate our hopes and dreams on one man; that we trust him to do what's best for us. My view of government places trust not in one person or one party, but in those values that transcend persons and parties. The trust is where it belongs--in the people." - Ronald Reagan"

http://www.freewebs.com/chrishwish/

Banned

Question Re: Obit Sticky

Quote Originally Posted by ahuff View Post
    I personally enjoy them exactly the way they are...simply because they easily catch my attention. I do not (and probably will not) scroll through a single post to see if any new passings were reported if that is done. It will most likely become like the montly postings of new items obtained...it just quickly gets crazy long and confusing once people start quoting another post and new information is added. I simply can't tell where I stopped reading the previous time.
    Any other thoughts, pro or con...maybe I need to rethink this.

Dave Miedema

Perhaps a Sticky would be a bad idea, because it wouldn't be very obvious when it was updated.
    But a singular thread would bump to the top with every addition. I know there are different ways to view threads on here, but I rarely scroll through an entire thread. If I see the NBA Showoff thread has moved to the top, I just click "last page" to see the most recent addition.

I TEND TO AGREE

+1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Thanks to Bill and Dave for all their informative obits.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

I appreciate the info either way, but separate threads are like headlines in a paper. They help you select what to read, since few of us have time to read everything. Thus, I generally like separate threads.