Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you purchase insurance when shipping your items?

I'm getting a package ready to ship with UPS and am thinking of purchasing insurance to cover the value. It's a Tebow game worn jersey that I sold for $3,000.

When I bring this to UPS, do I need to provide them some kind of proof, like a PayPal invoice, that shows the value of the item? And will I be covered the full $3,000 if it gets lost or damaged and I file a claim? Thanks.

Re: Do you purchase insurance when shipping your items?

You don't have to provide proof of value/purchase price when buying insurance, only if you file a claim.
    Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    donnie23fan at yahoo.com

I always purchase insurance when shipping game used items, regardless of cost. I just include it in what I charge for shipping.

If something does happen and you have the insurance, you'll need to provide proof of value.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

thanks everyone for the suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by flota89 View Post
    If something does happen and you have the insurance, you'll need to provide proof of value.
    that's where one of my questions falls, if it ends up damaged or lose and I file a claim how do I prove that was the item I shipped and its value? that's why I wanted to know if I need to provide some tangible proof, like an invoice, at the time I ship so that provides proof of the item and value being insured?

Quote Originally Posted by costas View Post
    thanks everyone for the suggestions

that's where one of my questions falls, if it ends up damaged or lose and I file a claim how do I prove that was the item I shipped and its value? that's why I wanted to know if I need to provide some tangible proof, like an invoice, at the time I ship so that provides proof of the item and value being insured?
    I'm pretty sure they don't make you provide any proof up front ... just in case a claim is made. I've never had to at least.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

You don't have to prove what it's worth unless you file a claim after it gets lost or destroyed. UPS recently broke a guitar amp I shipped. I gave them the Paypal receipt for what I sold it for and a repair estimate since it wasn't a replaceable item. That's all it took and they ruled in my favor.... for once.
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

I do when I sell an item. As others said you have to document or prove value if the item is lost or damaged. For me the cost versus piece of mind is well worth it. I too factor in the cost in my shipping charges.

Tom

Go Pack! NC State 1981 graduate

I used to buy insurance from Ups/Fedex for everything.. Then I found out they wont cover "one of a kind items" over $500 even though they will charge you for it. Now I only buy it up to that limit. Over that amount you need an agreement with another insurance co.
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Email:
    jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by costas View Post
    I'm getting a package ready to ship with UPS and am thinking of purchasing insurance to cover the value. It's a Tebow game worn jersey that I sold for $3,000.

When I bring this to UPS, do I need to provide them some kind of proof, like a PayPal invoice, that shows the value of the item? And will I be covered the full $3,000 if it gets lost or damaged and I file a claim? Thanks.
    Will UPS cover a item with a value over $3K?

Quote Originally Posted by GoTigers View Post
    I used to buy insurance from Ups/Fedex for everything.. Then I found out they wont cover "one of a kind items" over $500 even though they will charge you for it. Now I only buy it up to that limit. Over that amount you need an agreement with another insurance co.
    I'm curious ... would a game used item be "one of a kind." for example, you could easily estimate worth of an item. Let's use an Albert Pujols bat for example. While each bat is unique, you could make a case that the average market value for them is a certain amount. And when you have enough of something to make an average, it's could be argued that the item is unique but not one of a kind.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com