Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trading memorabilia to a player?

I just became aware that my Oakland Athletics Chris Carter jersey is the one he wore during his first homerun. It is authenticated to the day after, but it was photomatched it to the homer (MLB Authentication error). Anyways, do you think he would want this jersey being that it could be pretty significant to him? I would gladly trade it if he wanted to, also what should i ask for?

Re: Trading memorabilia to a player?

I would think that if he had wanted it that it would've never made it to market for sale. Probably not the same significance to him as say his first MLB jersey worn.
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

I thought the same thing, but maybe he didnt think about it at the time or something. Worth a shot.

I spoke with James Darnell of the Padres quite a bit at spring training since I have the jersey he wore when hitting his first MLB homerun. He offered me a few things and seemed genuinely interested in having it, but I was asking him for a glove. We came to the agreement that we would talk in September when he is up for the end of the year. I will be pushing for a glove.

Sounds like something he would really appreciate later in life but I would offer if given the opportunity.

Maybe take the opportunity to trade up. Ask for a Cespedes jersey if he has access to one.

I was honestly thinking that exact thing. A Cespedes jersey would be amazing. He just needs the call up first

I think that would be insulting IMO. "hey i've got this great game used jersey of yours but I'd gladly give it up for a better one of a guy who may have greater value than yours"

Your best bet is to see if he wants it and try and work something out of equal value to both of you.

Banned

Exclamation Re: Trading memorabilia to a player?

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandAsFan View Post
    I think that would be insulting IMO. "hey i've got this great game used jersey of yours but I'd gladly give it up for a better one of a guy who may have greater value than yours"

Your best bet is to see if he wants it and try and work something out of equal value to both of you.
    I totally agree. +1

Dave Miedema

In my Opinion, the whole process seems a bit tacky? I can see offering up a Jersey to a player expecting nothing in return and hoping that I make the guys day.

Maybe he would feel the kindness to take care of you in some way?

If I were a player and someone contacted me to trade or buy a Jersey I'd think the guy was a total Loser......No I'm not calling you a loser....Just sharing my personal feelings with you.