Lets see your Frank Thomas GU items!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WadeInBmore
    • Sep 2007

Re: Lets see your Frank Thomas GU items!

Todays update advances us even further into the Big Hurts career as I share the first of two pairs of team issued, game used cleats from his Oakland playing days. For me, seeing Frank in any uniform other than a Sox uni is still a bit shocking, but there was a great allure in tracking down items with colors other than black and white.

The first pair is a custom Nike high top spike that seemed to be his favorite style while donning the A's colors as he can be seen in both 2006 and 2008 wearing this style. I think one of the most interesting aspects of these cleats is that you can really see how Nike transformed a pair of high top sneakers into baseball spikes...a style choice that seemed to be a popular trend starting around 2005/2006. It would seem that this frankenstein approach to cleat design made for a more comfortable feeling shoe.

This pair exhibits light use with some dirt marks and color toning...use that I would think would be fair assessment for a DH who saw limited action in the green and gold thanks inpart to another leg injury and mid season team change. Enjoy.

Comment

• WadeInBmore
      • Sep 2007

A's cleats, post 2 of 2

As promised today I deliver another pair of the Big Hurts Nike cleats from 2008. It seems that this was a style that he enjoyed while wearing a Jays uni during warm-ups...so when he signed with the A's for the remainder of the 08 season I can see how he would've wanted to try these out in Oakland too.

These cleats again show light use...but that really isn't too surprising to me. While I have not found an exact style match photo for these A's spikes I have found a shot from Franks Toronto's days during spring training. Hope you enjoy em!

Comment

• WadeInBmore
        • Sep 2007

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY EVERYONE!

Todays post is of one of the more intriguing items in my Frank Thomas collection. I purchased this bat more as a trophy bat than anything else, but it appears to be more than that...let me explain.

For years I had watched this GU Rawlings All-Star game bat, but the asking price was way to high for a couple of reasons (again, I'll be getting to that). Eventually, like all items, this particular bat ended up at an auction and I was able to purchase it for a much more reasonable amount of money. Here is the interesting part...the bat shows light use and is graded as such. Quite a pleasant surprise IMO. BUT, Frank wasn't swinging Rawlings at this point in his career; he was still swinging Worth!!!!!

So, here are my exact thoughts of this bat. This was a presentation bat issued to the Big Hurt for making the All-Star game from Rawlings. When Worth stopped making bats, was Rawlings trying to scoop up their old contracts? It is a professional bat and I'm thinking they guessed on his length and weight preferences. Perhaps THIS is the first Rawlings bat that Frank ever had in his possession. The bat is a mammoth and weighs almost an ounce and a half heavier than any other bat of his that I own. Its not completely crazy to think that he could have enjoyed the feel of the bat, taken a couple of cuts with it, decided it was too heavy to use in the game...but wanted to explore their brand in the future.

This is why it gets interesting again...Frank began to use different bat brands in 1995. From what I can tell he at least tried out Kissimmee Stix and went back to LVS briefly before finally ending on Rawlings.

Attached are some images of my bat along with some images from before the All Star game and during the HR Derby (you'll notice he is swinging a Worth).

Attached Files

Comment

• WadeInBmore
          • Sep 2007

Hope everyone had a great holiday! I'm going to take us right back into the mid-90's right smack dab in the thick of Reebok's contract with Frank Thomas. I picked this pair up from Craigslist. These might be my favorite pair of Thomas spikes that I have in my collection...I'm nostalgic and remember them "pumps"!!! They are both auto'd and show great use. Happy to share these with you guys.

Comment

• anthony3133
            • Nov 2010

Wade -
            I look forward to your updates, cool idea and spectacular collection, my man.
            Hats off to one of the finest gentlemen I've had the pleasure to meet and deal with in the hobby!
            Keep it up and keep them coming!
            Anthony

Comment

• sox83cubs84
              Banned
              • Apr 2009

Wade:

The Big Hurt items are excellent. Let's see some GU jerseys (especially Sox)!

'Dave Miedema

Comment

• WadeInBmore
                • Sep 2007

Copy that Dave. I'll begin posting a jersey tomorrow...a sox jersey. Forcing my hand early.

Really glad that so many people are digging this thread!

Wade

Comment

• WadeInBmore
                  • Sep 2007

Today's update goes out to Dave. So by special request here's today's update!

For your viewing pleasure I present this 1995 game worn away jersey. It shows good use with fading, piling, and loose threads. Believe you me pics do not do this jersey justice. Patches are soft...this jersey was well loved.

Comment

• gorilla777
                    • Aug 2009

1991 Frank Thomas signed LVS

Ben
                    Attached Files

Comment

• sox83cubs84
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2009

Wade:

Good choice.

You (and othetrs) might get a laugh out of this story: in the early 1990s, a dealer showed me a C243 LS bat with THOMAS on the barrel, but the number 14 written on the knob. His "story" was that the bat was Frank's from the minor leagues. Reserach showed that the bat was actually a MLB bat...of ANDRES Thomas, a player with Atlanta who wore #14 in the late 1980s.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• WadeInBmore
                        • Sep 2007

A couple busy days at work and no update!!! I've got some catching up to do.

The first item that I would like to share today is an item that was sourced direct from the team. I was beside myself when a fellow collector offered me this piece and was very happy to purchase it. Complete with paperwork from the Oakland Athletics I present to you this very beautiful game used green alternate jersey of Frank Thomas.

It displays incredibly well showing excellent use, puckering and softening of patches, as well as a couple loose threads here and there. Dated and tagged as a Set 2 jersey from the 2006 season (Thomas's comeback player of the year award year) this size 52 jersey is a monster!!!!

I have seen only one other Thomas gamer from this season offered, but it didn't have the paperwork to accompany it nor did it have the set tagging as shown below.

Pics definately do not to this item justice. When I have the time I will shoot some higher res photos to share, but for now, these will have to do.

Comment

• WadeInBmore
                          • Sep 2007

Update number 2 for today!

Another jersey to complete his major league team run. This jersey will take us to Big Franks time as a Blue Jay. This charcoal black Cool Base 1 button neck jersey features the fancy Toronto logo on the front in blue, black, and silver. On the back features a matching blue and silver 35 (NNOB on this style). The MLB logo is sewn above. Majestic logo in white is on the left sleeve. White inserst are sewn under each arm (white = home, grey = away).

Blue Jays player Lyle Overbay also wore the number 35 during this time period (changed his number to 17 when Frank arrived), BUT he is/was definately not wearing a size 52 jersey. So rest assured this is Big Franks.

This is a 3 year style jersey that was worn for the 07-09 seasons and came purchased direct from the Blue Jays. This ST/BP style jersey shows good use (that which would be expected from a Dh) and displays all the proper tagging including the 0068 pro-coded curled washing tag.

Comment

• WadeInBmore
                            • Sep 2007

The year is 1997. Frank Thomas was on another incredible offensive tear. When the dust would settle at the end of the season, the Big Hurt would be finishing in the top ten in just about every batting category, and perhaps this is the reason why he would win the A.L. Batting title this year.

When you stop and look at his actual numbers throughout the season, you can see why this juggernaut of a player was a perennial triple crown contender day in and day out. In 1997, he would finish with a .347 batting average. His slugging percentage would rank him 2nd in th A.L. at .611, averaging a HR every 15.1 at-bats, and ultimately finishing the season with 35 dingers (a number that seems all too fitting).

This Game Used Home pinstriped jersey exhibits good use and is unsigned. Some numerical/tag fading has occured through numberous washes, as well as some thread pulls and number/patch softening. A perfect GU jersey from Frank's batting title year!

wade

Comment

• WadeInBmore
                              • Sep 2007

Until Frank signed his Reebok deal, Reebok had yet to break into MLB. So, signing the soon to be 2 time AL MVP to a deal turned out not only timely, but also a learning experience as well!

By 1993 when Big Frank and Reebok came to terms, he stood with a massive frame of 6'5" that carried around 250 lbs worth of raw talent and power. He was (and still is IMO) quite a large man/athlete.

Reebok quickly began dishing out sports garb specific to Frank with their logo on it...baseball cleats, batting gloves, and wristbands. Only problem was that the first shipment of wristbands looked like a watch on Franks arm. The first batch of wristbands that Reebok sent were only a little over 3" in length. By the time Frank got them over his huge hands and adorned them on his wrists, they where less then stylish and, frankly, too small!!!!

Reebok quickly addressed the problem and made a new batch of wristbands that were almost two times the size of the original ones. Below are an example from the two shipments along with a ruler for scale reference. Hope you enjoy!

wade

Comment

• WadeInBmore
                                • Sep 2007

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
                                You (and othetrs) might get a laugh out of this story: in the early 1990s, a dealer showed me a C243 LS bat with THOMAS on the barrel, but the number 14 written on the knob. His "story" was that the bat was Frank's from the minor leagues. Reserach showed that the bat was actually a MLB bat...of ANDRES Thomas, a player with Atlanta who wore #14 in the late 1980s.
                                Dave...

Imagine the potential mix-up trouble that the collecting world would be in IF Andres Thomas chose to be one number north of his 14. How many Frank Thomas LVS #15 bats would be in the hobby!!!! YIKES.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

wade

Comment

Working...