Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Exclamation Re: Lets see your Frank Thomas GU items!

Wade:

The Big Hurt items are excellent. Let's see some GU jerseys (especially Sox)!

'Dave Miedema

Re: Lets see your Frank Thomas GU items!

Copy that Dave. I'll begin posting a jersey tomorrow...a sox jersey. Forcing my hand early.

Really glad that so many people are digging this thread!

Wade

Today's update goes out to Dave. So by special request here's today's update!

For your viewing pleasure I present this 1995 game worn away jersey. It shows good use with fading, piling, and loose threads. Believe you me pics do not do this jersey justice. Patches are soft...this jersey was well loved.

1991 Frank Thomas signed LVS

Ben
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Banned

Talking Re: Lets see your Frank Thomas GU items!

Wade:

Good choice.

You (and othetrs) might get a laugh out of this story: in the early 1990s, a dealer showed me a C243 LS bat with THOMAS on the barrel, but the number 14 written on the knob. His "story" was that the bat was Frank's from the minor leagues. Reserach showed that the bat was actually a MLB bat...of ANDRES Thomas, a player with Atlanta who wore #14 in the late 1980s.

Dave Miedema

A couple busy days at work and no update!!! I've got some catching up to do.

The first item that I would like to share today is an item that was sourced direct from the team. I was beside myself when a fellow collector offered me this piece and was very happy to purchase it. Complete with paperwork from the Oakland Athletics I present to you this very beautiful game used green alternate jersey of Frank Thomas.

It displays incredibly well showing excellent use, puckering and softening of patches, as well as a couple loose threads here and there. Dated and tagged as a Set 2 jersey from the 2006 season (Thomas's comeback player of the year award year) this size 52 jersey is a monster!!!!

I have seen only one other Thomas gamer from this season offered, but it didn't have the paperwork to accompany it nor did it have the set tagging as shown below.

Pics definately do not to this item justice. When I have the time I will shoot some higher res photos to share, but for now, these will have to do.

Update number 2 for today!

Another jersey to complete his major league team run. This jersey will take us to Big Franks time as a Blue Jay. This charcoal black Cool Base 1 button neck jersey features the fancy Toronto logo on the front in blue, black, and silver. On the back features a matching blue and silver 35 (NNOB on this style). The MLB logo is sewn above. Majestic logo in white is on the left sleeve. White inserst are sewn under each arm (white = home, grey = away).

Blue Jays player Lyle Overbay also wore the number 35 during this time period (changed his number to 17 when Frank arrived), BUT he is/was definately not wearing a size 52 jersey. So rest assured this is Big Franks.

This is a 3 year style jersey that was worn for the 07-09 seasons and came purchased direct from the Blue Jays. This ST/BP style jersey shows good use (that which would be expected from a Dh) and displays all the proper tagging including the 0068 pro-coded curled washing tag.

The year is 1997. Frank Thomas was on another incredible offensive tear. When the dust would settle at the end of the season, the Big Hurt would be finishing in the top ten in just about every batting category, and perhaps this is the reason why he would win the A.L. Batting title this year.

When you stop and look at his actual numbers throughout the season, you can see why this juggernaut of a player was a perennial triple crown contender day in and day out. In 1997, he would finish with a .347 batting average. His slugging percentage would rank him 2nd in th A.L. at .611, averaging a HR every 15.1 at-bats, and ultimately finishing the season with 35 dingers (a number that seems all too fitting).

This Game Used Home pinstriped jersey exhibits good use and is unsigned. Some numerical/tag fading has occured through numberous washes, as well as some thread pulls and number/patch softening. A perfect GU jersey from Frank's batting title year!

wade

Until Frank signed his Reebok deal, Reebok had yet to break into MLB. So, signing the soon to be 2 time AL MVP to a deal turned out not only timely, but also a learning experience as well!

By 1993 when Big Frank and Reebok came to terms, he stood with a massive frame of 6'5" that carried around 250 lbs worth of raw talent and power. He was (and still is IMO) quite a large man/athlete.

Reebok quickly began dishing out sports garb specific to Frank with their logo on it...baseball cleats, batting gloves, and wristbands. Only problem was that the first shipment of wristbands looked like a watch on Franks arm. The first batch of wristbands that Reebok sent were only a little over 3" in length. By the time Frank got them over his huge hands and adorned them on his wrists, they where less then stylish and, frankly, too small!!!!

Reebok quickly addressed the problem and made a new batch of wristbands that were almost two times the size of the original ones. Below are an example from the two shipments along with a ruler for scale reference. Hope you enjoy!

wade

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    You (and othetrs) might get a laugh out of this story: in the early 1990s, a dealer showed me a C243 LS bat with THOMAS on the barrel, but the number 14 written on the knob. His "story" was that the bat was Frank's from the minor leagues. Reserach showed that the bat was actually a MLB bat...of ANDRES Thomas, a player with Atlanta who wore #14 in the late 1980s.
    Dave...

Imagine the potential mix-up trouble that the collecting world would be in IF Andres Thomas chose to be one number north of his 14. How many Frank Thomas LVS #15 bats would be in the hobby!!!! YIKES.

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

wade