Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questionable Ryan Braun Game Used Jersey/MLB Authentication

Good TV piece done on a questionable Braun Game Used jersey plus a nice behind the scenes look at the MLB Authentication process in Milwaukee...

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...ys-microscope/

Re: Questionable Ryan Braun Game Used Jersey/MLB Authentication

I wonder if LoJo actually waited until Monday to have the jersey delivered by FedEx.

But on a serious note - this "G/U '11" sounds very very fishy. If MLB doesnt state as such - it is NOT.

Banned

Looks like Braun or his memorabilia agents took a page out of Aroids book. He did this with the Rangers along with Pudge and a few others.

Photo match is best.

These videos are very informative and thanks for sharing. I've watched the one on the authenticator twice through your link. It's interesting that the bat boy spoke to her as he brought the ball. That's a useful double-check that Ive seen the Rangers do also.

It's odd that they say she posts directly on brewers.com I assume they mean the MLB authentication site, which would be linked through each club's site, rather than on the club site as such.

Reminds me of the Favre jersey thing not too long ago.
    Ryan

NFL game used collector

Quote Originally Posted by schubert1970 View Post
    Looks like Braun or his memorabilia agents took a page out of Aroids book. He did this with the Rangers along with Pudge and a few others.

Photo match is best.

You're too funny, every comment out of your mouth has to deal with bad mouthing arod. Yet again you're a fan of Pete Rose who is the end is worst then arod. Pete gambled on the game, corked his bat, signs stupid baseballs saying he killed JFK. And I'm sure he's cheated in other ways.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    You're too funny, every comment out of your mouth has to deal with bad mouthing arod. Yet again you're a fan of Pete Rose who is the end is worst then arod. Pete gambled on the game, corked his bat, signs stupid baseballs saying he killed JFK. And I'm sure he's cheated in other ways.
    Stop it already...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    On a serious note, what I said is 100% true....read this post from one of the biggest Arod fans on the board.

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...alex+rodriguez

Banned

3AROD13

Since joining this forum over the past couple of years, I have learned so much about Arod's signing habits. It saddens me for what I have learned in this forum. At first, I defended him. Today, I don't.

I'm lucky enough to have Arod's HR #15 (20th of Career) HR bat from 1996. Solid documentation and very early HR gamer from his first full year in the majors.

I guess what bothers me the most is, early in his career, he was young and naive, and many took advantage of that by having him sign game used on items that weren't. However, over the years, he still continues to sign Game Used on almost anything that is put in front of him, depending on who he is signing things for. I do know that that MVP (Mario) ensures that everything he sells is 100% authentic.

As I always say, everything seems to be amout the almighty dollar. I would think with someone like Arod, he would do his best to ensure his fans and collectors only buy the real deal.

Before joining this forum, I wouldn't have hesitated to by anything Arod signed Game Used. Today, I hesitate on everything. Sad!

Regards, Tony

"And is it possible that players can sometimes bypass the system to make a few bucks on their own?

That seems to be at the root of an issue over some Ryan Braun game worn jerseys. A local shop is selling them as game worn and Braun's reps back that up. The Brewers, however, don't have a record of the jerseys as anything except having been autographed."

Above is a quote from the original article.

Here is example where additional provenance from Braun's rep would have been helpful. In this case, the MLB hologram is only for the autograph but Braun puts a GU inscription. Is this enough to say its game used? I guess Braun has to trust his reps as to what is put in front of him to sign. In this case Braun signs a "GU 2011" inscription.

It is perfectly legit that players order extra jerseys which schubert1970 alluded to. This is why the Brewer equipment manager was not aware of this particular jersey. I think the author of the article keeps referring to MLB as Brewers at times in the article which is confusing too. In the end, the buyer decides to return the jersey arguing that the hologram says it's only an autograph jersey. the buyers seems like a typical rely-on-COA type buyer who buys stuff with MLB holograms but fails to look it up before she buys it. There is no further investigation of wear and usage by the buyer and the store decides to give a refund and defends the jersey as game used. I cannot hear the audio of the store dealer during the interview to hear his side of the story. Unfortunately this collector does not have the knowledge of the different sources of possible legit jerseys other than from the team itself. A lot of the misunderstanding between the buyer and seller could have been avoided with a little more education by the seller on how the jersey was obtained and why it was not entered into the database as game used. From her collection shown on the video, she was a good customer of the shop (“for anybody else I probably wouldn’t have taken the jersey back”) and probably had no interest in trying the photomatch the jersey. I wonder what other paperwork (letter from Rep) was given to her and what the shop owner said in his interview.

Would a MLB hologram for the autograph with a GU inscription be good enough to buy a jersey? Handler/reps have been known to mismanage game used items they represent so a signed LOA from the player would give some confidence after examining the jersey for use and photo matching purposes.

Also, an additional comment about the “special inscription” should be entered into the database to insure that the inscription is not added after the autograph session. If the jersey was actually game used, it looked at first sight to be lightly used.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.