Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Cal Ripken, Jr. 1991-1997 Louisville Slugger Game Used Bat on Mastro

Something strikes me funny about this bat....................I've owned many Ripken bats and I don't ever recall seeing any post 1991 LVS P72's of Cal Ripken having this strange script for his name especially without the "Jr" appended to it.................I've only seen "Cal Ripken" without the "Jr." only on his early vintage '81-83 model bats and on his Rawlings bats. Anyone have more insight?????
    :eek: "Shows solid identifier puckering" :eek: --Lou Lampson

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)

Re: Cal Ripken, Jr. 1991-1997 Louisville Slugger Game Used Bat on Mastro

Forgot to provide the URL for the bat. Here it is:

http://www.mastroauctions.com/index....LotIndex=63509
    :eek: "Shows solid identifier puckering" :eek: --Lou Lampson

Dan (ripkengamers@aol.com)

Dan...Thats the H&B facsimile signature for Cal Ripken SR (who also had a contract with H&B). Could it be a factory error? This same bat was in another auction (AMI ?) recently as well.

For comparison purposes, the top bat is a Ripken Sr signature model from his coaching days (1969-72 era). The RIPKEN bat on the bottom is a pre-contract game bat of Senior's from the late 1950's.

Sorry..forgot scan as well
    Attached Images Attached Images  

the bat is being consigned from someone at mears. bushing perhaps?

http://www.mearsonline.com/auctions/items.asp

there are 14 bids on it so far. is a cal ripken sr. bat really worth $600?

rudy.

Especially a Cal Ripken Sr bat with 1991-97 labeling. I've never seen any indication that Cal Jr. used bats with his father's contract signature (unless of course a factory error was made ALTHOUGH you would think that Taube, Mears, etc. would have made mention of that if in fact they even noticed).

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    Dan...Thats the H&B facsimile signature for Cal Ripken SR (who also had a contract with H&B). Could it be a factory error? This same bat was in another auction (AMI ?) recently as well.
    Bill is correct. It was a factory error - they used the wrong stamp. It was made for Ripken (and game used by him), per John Taube. A unique Ripken bat, without question.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    Bill is correct. It was a factory error - they used the wrong stamp. It was made for Ripken (and game used by him), per John Taube. A unique Ripken bat, without question.

Reid

Reid:

If you talked to John, did he indicate whether or not he had any idea if this was a one of a kind type of thing or were there were a number of bats that were eroneously made with this stamp? Any way to know that conclusively?

Thanks
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.miracle View Post
    Reid:

If you talked to John, did he indicate whether or not he had any idea if this was a one of a kind type of thing or were there were a number of bats that were eroneously made with this stamp? Any way to know that conclusively?

Thanks
    Hi, Brett...

John and I traded a few emails. He did not say that it is a one of a kind, but surely it is an unusual bat. John's a very accessible guy ... you should feel free to contact him (www.gameusedbats.com). Let us know if you learn more about the bat. It may be one of the rarest Ripken gamers out there (If Bill and Dan haven't seen it before, then that alone tells you how rare it is). I have emailed Brian Marren at Mastro about the bat, too, but haven't yet heard back from him.

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.