Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Banned

Thumbs up Re: Ewing jersey opinions

It looks like an NBA Commemorative Collection jersey...the NBA equivalent of MLB's Score Board jerseys a few years earlier. Tags are proper in design, but the 4" extra length is a concern to me...Ewing normally took +6" extra length on his Knicks gamers.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Re: Ewing jersey opinions

thanks dave i really appreciate it!

I agree w/ Dave on the +4 vs. +6 length, but it's not a commemorative jersey as Champion would put a production number on the second tag:

It might be a team issued blank made into a Ewing, that's my best theory.

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Ewing jersey opinions

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckFoPrez View Post
    I agree w/ Dave on the +4 vs. +6 length, but it's not a commemorative jersey as Champion would put a production number on the second tag:

It might be a team issued blank made into a Ewing, that's my best theory.
    There were two issuances of the NBA Commemorative Collection jerseys. The one you show is from the second release. The first release did not carry the production number on the exclusive tag nor did it carry the large NBACC tag. The first group is much harder to identify as being retail, usually boiling down to a variance in sizing (like Ewing); NOB font (MJ, Pippen) or positioning of the NBA logo (Charles Barkley).

Dave Miedema

Hmmmm...interesting. I'll have to add that in my mental notes for the future. Thanks much

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    There were two issuances of the NBA Commemorative Collection jerseys. The one you show is from the second release. The first release did not carry the production number on the exclusive tag nor did it carry the large NBACC tag. The first group is much harder to identify as being retail, usually boiling down to a variance in sizing (like Ewing); NOB font (MJ, Pippen) or positioning of the NBA logo (Charles Barkley).

Dave Miedema
    I don't think the Ewing jersey is a Commemorative Collection jersey - I just think there were a lot of pro-cuts made that year. No one labeled them "Commemorative Collections" until this thread I'm pretty sure.

Banned

Cool Re: Ewing jersey opinions

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    I don't think the Ewing jersey is a Commemorative Collection jersey - I just think there were a lot of pro-cuts made that year. No one labeled them "Commemorative Collections" until this thread I'm pretty sure.

I guess we agree to disagree on what to call them, then.

Dave M.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    I guess we agree to disagree on what to call them, then.

Dave M.
    Dave, they weren't sold to the public as Commemorative Collection. They were sold as pro-cuts. The Commemorative Collection jerseys were sold with a big patch on them as Commemorative Collection jerseys.

You can make up whatever term you want to call them, but they are both pro-cut style jerseys just one had a big ass patch on it that read Commemorative Collection and the others didn't.

Banned

Exclamation Re: Ewing jersey opinions

Joel:

All I know is, when they first came out in 1992, people who dealt in them indicated they were an NBA Commemorative Collection Issue. Further, I have written about these, between this site, MEARS and SCD multiple times over 20 years, and this is the only one of those mentions that drew disagreement as to their origins.

Until proven otherwise (if ever), NBA Commemorative Collection jerseys is what I was told they were by dealers who stocked the product when they came out, and what I will continue to refer to them as.

Dave M.